Boxwood, method to promote roots growth on cuttings

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Hope everyone is doing well.

This post is not about a question but to share an observation I just made.

About 2 weeks ago I pruned two Boxwood.
Im 2 years into the hobby but I just realize that for my level no material should be wasted, so I now try 3 differents ways at the same time to grow cuttings for the same tree.

1- I will leave a few cuttings/small branches in water and wait
2- I let the cuttings in water for a day or two and plant them in potting soil with rooting hormones
3- I place a few cuttings in a cardboard box with humid saw dust soaked in rooting hormones for a few weeks

To make a long story short, interesting observation boxwood will grow roots when left in water for 2 weeks plus.
One branche is about 1/8 and the other one 1/4 in diameter.

20220622_011640.jpg

No roots yet but you can see where this is going.
20220622_011704.jpg

Maybe its usual for the pros but I was surprised to see a nice green foliage left on theses 2 branches after 2 weeks in water, even more surprised when I saw the roots starting to form!

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
woah what?!?!? I have a bunch in perlite getting misted and stuff maybe I will try this method. That looks so much easier. Wow! Thank you!

Reactions: Ugo

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you float these in a styrofoam block, or old flip flop as I have, you can get a radial set on one plane, and not have to worry about water level or wasting energy on roots that will be cut off.

Capture+_2022-07-07-05-54-17.png

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce uses one of my favorite methods. ^^^
I used to use Styrofoam pieces but now I use cloning collars I get on Amazon. The last for years and already have a hole to place the cutting and a cutout to easily remove it.

Top Bottom