Boxwood Needs Help - I'm lost!

UnmovedMover

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey All!

This is my first thread here, although I've been a browser since I started the Bonsai interest about 6 months ago.

The Boxwood in need of help was originally purchased for cheap at a bog box store. It was extremely root bound so I teased and trimmed the roots to the best of my ability (first ever attempt). The pictures with more roots, leaves, branches, and vibrant green coloring are from that repot whi h was about 4.5 months ago.

The tree went into a air pruning pot, pictured below? In a soil mix of DE (kitty litter/napa floor dry), pumice, and lava rock. 1:1:1 mixture. It seemed to stabalize and after two months it seemed to be settling in nicely. My goal was fpr the tree to stay in this pot and grow like crazy for two years, boosting the trunk size and letting me practice styling on a tree with a strong root system. I have had some insect issues (mites in my evergreens) and fungus gnats around some soil of other tree. I didnt detect any with this tree, but it began to appear dry. In the more recent pictures I tried to show the overall colorig which ia brown and yellow compared to earlier in the Boxwood's life.

I have experimented with breaks in watering as well as increased watering as I believed this soil mix, combined with the extra air from the pot would make overwatering very difficult. I had used the recommended amount of fertilizer pellets spread in the top of the soil during the re-pot.

The tree has not responded well and I investigated today tp see if I could detect any issue with the roots. I felt like the soil was looser and perhaps had air pockets around the lower roots (directly under the tree) despite completely dunking the pot after the last re-pot to try and remove air pockets.

I thought I smelled a bit of rotten egg type odor when lifting the tree out today, but once it was out I couldnt replicate the issue.

I gave the roots a rinse and combed them woth a root pick again. I found some chunks of larger soil components, that I believe were from the original soil the tree came in.

I have purchased some pre mixed soils, which I plan to use as I repot this tree, tp remove the risk of user error preparing the soil.

I also have potting soil, perlite, and compost available. I have all sorts of pots and containers available as well.

I found a good amount of roots in the pot agter removing the tree tpday, so it seems perhaps the first re-pot was never successful, or these roots did grow a bit, then stopped.

The soil seemed tp have good moisture, especially around the center of the rootball, but at the edges of the container, it was much more dry.

Im uploading pictures of the roots as they currently are, wondering if anyone with more experience can suggest what thing(s) have gpne wrong?

I know this is not a gpod tome of the year for a re-pot? But the tree has been looking worse and worse each day, and I feared no action might be a death sentence for this lovely little thing.

I did trim back some of the initial growth thay occured when I first bought the plant, again, my firat attempt at starting to look at styling etc. It had grown significantly as it came alive this spring (original soil and container) but I tried to trim roots and branches in an even ratio.

I found two thick roots, pictured below? That were darkened and perhaps rotting? They looked like die back on an end of a branch. I trimmed these off.

Any help is greatly appreciated - I apologize for spelling issues - I'm posting on my phone as I work with the tree now, preparing for a repot, and hoping for a quick response for anyone that might have an idea or suggestion!

I'm not able to upload all the pictures I wanted to - I'll try and add them later!

Attachments

• 20220718_203153.jpg
    20220718_203153.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220718_203216.jpg
    20220718_203216.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220718_203224.jpg
    20220718_203224.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220718_203119.jpg
    20220718_203119.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220718_203325.jpg
    20220718_203325.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220718_203312.jpg
    20220718_203312.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220718_203253.jpg
    20220718_203253.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220718_203249.jpg
    20220718_203249.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 75

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
spelling issues

Just try not to get upset if they sound funny AH and we make jokes!

Welcome to Crazy!

Post a little long for right now....but others will come, and I'll be Back!

Sorce

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm sure the experts will give more accurate advice but my experience with buxus is they are quite difficult to keep happy in pots. I've had buxus plants which just survived for 3 year's in a pot but once planted in the ground they grew like crazy almost immediately.
Your medium sounds perfect. After repotting, water appropriately with a small amount of liquid seaweed added. Don't add fertiliser under you see strong foliage growth.
I would keep in the shade. Try keep temperature extremes away from the pot/roots. I've had great success with using pond baskets but sitting the basket into a porcelain/terracotta outer pot. I've added some photos of a pine getting this treatment!

Attachments

• IMG-20220707-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20220707-WA0009.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-20220707-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20220707-WA0011.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 76

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey All!

This is my first thread here, although I've been a browser since I started the Bonsai interest about 6 months ago.

The Boxwood in need of help was originally purchased for cheap at a bog box store. It was extremely root bound so I teased and trimmed the roots to the best of my ability (first ever attempt). The pictures with more roots, leaves, branches, and vibrant green coloring are from that repot whi h was about 4.5 months ago.

The tree went into a air pruning pot, pictured below? In a soil mix of DE (kitty litter/napa floor dry), pumice, and lava rock. 1:1:1 mixture. It seemed to stabalize and after two months it seemed to be settling in nicely. My goal was fpr the tree to stay in this pot and grow like crazy for two years, boosting the trunk size and letting me practice styling on a tree with a strong root system. I have had some insect issues (mites in my evergreens) and fungus gnats around some soil of other tree. I didnt detect any with this tree, but it began to appear dry. In the more recent pictures I tried to show the overall colorig which ia brown and yellow compared to earlier in the Boxwood's life.

I have experimented with breaks in watering as well as increased watering as I believed this soil mix, combined with the extra air from the pot would make overwatering very difficult. I had used the recommended amount of fertilizer pellets spread in the top of the soil during the re-pot.

The tree has not responded well and I investigated today tp see if I could detect any issue with the roots. I felt like the soil was looser and perhaps had air pockets around the lower roots (directly under the tree) despite completely dunking the pot after the last re-pot to try and remove air pockets.

I thought I smelled a bit of rotten egg type odor when lifting the tree out today, but once it was out I couldnt replicate the issue.

I gave the roots a rinse and combed them woth a root pick again. I found some chunks of larger soil components, that I believe were from the original soil the tree came in.

I have purchased some pre mixed soils, which I plan to use as I repot this tree, tp remove the risk of user error preparing the soil.

I also have potting soil, perlite, and compost available. I have all sorts of pots and containers available as well.

I found a good amount of roots in the pot agter removing the tree tpday, so it seems perhaps the first re-pot was never successful, or these roots did grow a bit, then stopped.

The soil seemed tp have good moisture, especially around the center of the rootball, but at the edges of the container, it was much more dry.

Im uploading pictures of the roots as they currently are, wondering if anyone with more experience can suggest what thing(s) have gpne wrong?

I know this is not a gpod tome of the year for a re-pot? But the tree has been looking worse and worse each day, and I feared no action might be a death sentence for this lovely little thing.

I did trim back some of the initial growth thay occured when I first bought the plant, again, my firat attempt at starting to look at styling etc. It had grown significantly as it came alive this spring (original soil and container) but I tried to trim roots and branches in an even ratio.

I found two thick roots, pictured below? That were darkened and perhaps rotting? They looked like die back on an end of a branch. I trimmed these off.

Any help is greatly appreciated - I apologize for spelling issues - I'm posting on my phone as I work with the tree now, preparing for a repot, and hoping for a quick response for anyone that might have an idea or suggestion!

I'm not able to upload all the pictures I wanted to - I'll try and add them later!
It's hard to tell what's going on, but I suspect you're doing too much all at once. Boxwood are extremely tough plants. I've had several for decades. But you're working this one very very hard.

Trimming roots, exchanging soil, trimming the top--styling, fertilizing, experimenting with watering, and another repot if I'm reading this correctly. That's a lot for any plant.

FWIW, when I get a boxwood in a nursery container and transplant it into bonsai soil, I saw off the lower 1/3 of the root mass, use a single tine root hook to work the remaining roots apart. I wash out all the nursery soil and work regular bonsai soil in. The mix you're using sounds too lean to me. A little organic is not a bad thing.

I use shallower growing containers, like six inches deep or less. Ultimately I have all my boxwood in very shallow pots less than three inches, in some cases of a mame kingsville less than an inch. Boxwood don't seem to like deeper containers. They tend to be very shallow rooted in landscapes. Deep containers tend to stay wet on the bottom and interior, particularly if the pot is too big to begin with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
preparing for a repot, and hoping for a quick response

To hell with spelling!

We gotta talk about paragraph structure!

I didn't realize this was much more important than going to talk mostly non-urgent ish elsewhere!

Sorce

UnmovedMover

Seedling
Reaction score
@rockm you're 100% correct - this being essentially the first bonsai attempt, I've found it difficult to be patient while I see if an adjustment I made is helping or not. Obviously process of elimination doesn'tr work if I throw the kitchen at the poor thing. Sucks seeing them wither after they've been reasonably happy. The events listed were seperated, with the original report and small trim happening about five months ago, towards the beginning of the growing season here, depending on altitude, and also when I purchased the plant.

I'm exercising more patience with other material I've collected or purchased, but am having trouble translating reading and research into the correct action thus far. I unfortunately don't have a local club or scene to learn in person with, I can tell some of the basic activities, as well as things like diagnosing species specific ailments would be much easier with experienced teachers around.

Your general boxwood treatments are helpful! I have another, currently in a standard nursery pot and a DE, perlite, potting soil mix that has had a lovely summer of growth, but recently seems to have lost some vigor. I might try relocating it to a spot it receives less direct sun and aim for a shallower pot next year.

Again - I appreciate the response, so far no turns for the worse, I've used a very similar pre-mixed soil mix to the one I was using but with a touch of organic material added. I'm using a moisture meter to try and keep my watering regular. The new pot is smaller than the last, and not a air-pruning style container. I'll try and post an update down the road with the outcome!

@Dermot Thank you as well for taking the time to assess my situation :) Hoping for the best, and always happy to employ best/better practices for my trees!

@sorce Formatting issues indeed! I will say on my phone the paragraph breaks didn't translate into the nightmarish format I'm seeing now. So much for a quality first post - but it was done in the name of saving a potted friend so I'll forgive myself :) Cheers!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
paragraph breaks

I'm a super fan of broken up paragraphs and many other things that make forumly communications more communicatable.

Like words that never existed before!

Sorce

UnmovedMover

Seedling
Reaction score
New soil and a shady position seem to be keeping things stable. A few instances of new growth showing up but the older leaves still seem a bit dry and unhappy. Hoping it will just keep hanging in there!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
New soil and a shady position seem to be keeping things stable. A few instances of new growth showing up but the older leaves still seem a bit dry and unhappy. Hoping it will just keep hanging in there!

New growth is a good sign. Just keep up with when it needs water and be patient.
The older leaves will probably die and drop off. As long as it has new ones coming along to take their place it has a much better chance. Just don't mess with it now other than watering when it needs it.

UnmovedMover

Seedling
Reaction score
New growth is a good sign. Just keep up with when it needs water and be patient.
The older leaves will probably die and drop off. As long as it has new ones coming along to take their place it has a much better chance. Just don't mess with it now other than watering when it needs it.
Totally - I'm just checking on it through the heat wave we're having, keeping it from going dry. Good to know I can keep an eye on replacement leaves specifically for any that come off!

Top Bottom