Boxwood Poisonous Question

gbupp

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have read that "most" Boxwood species are poisonous, however none of the publications I read said "all". This leads me to believe that there are Boxwood variants that are not poisonous. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Googling the answer has lead me no where. Thanks!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last edited:

gbupp

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah. Google popped it up right away for me.

But don't lose any sleep worrying about it. Just don't start grazing on your bonsai. LOTS of plants are poisonous to one degree or another.

B. mycrophylla and B. semipervirens both can cause stomach cramps if you are silly enough to eat them. And I've been using bare hands working with my boxwood for years, and have never seen any irritation, so unless you are one of those whose hands are easily irritated by things, that's no worry, either.

If you have a puppy, they like to chew things, but you'll probably keep your trees away from them.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So does this mean I should conclude that all Boxwood are poisonous? I would love to get one, but I would worry about my Cat's health. He loves to chew stuff that falls of my Elm and I can't always keep an eye on him.

I added this...taken from the links I provided...
"...according to the authors of "The North American Guide to Common Poisonous Plants and Mushrooms." To be safe, they warn taking care with any Buxus species, not only sempervirens."

gbupp

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone for replying. I have run out of room on my patio, and will be unable to keep my cat away from it. Thanks for the help, I would rather play it safe than sorry.

Top Bottom