Boxwood problem?

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
lTp7dZ.jpg

B6G9O0.jpg

This year my boxwood seems to have some very light colored (yellow?) leaves on some of the ends. When I first took it out of winter storage I thought it was just new growth but its still holding the same light yellow'ish color now mid June. It's been 2 years since it was repotted, wondering is maybe its the start of a root issues and repotteing in a better drying soil would be a good idea or could it be something else going on?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What zone are you in?
My two boxwood already had their first cutback after allot of spring growth!
They also had a few brown/bronze leaves after the winter but thats normal due the cold i think
After winter they did start pushing growth and strong as saddler mentioned did it push new growth since winter?

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Zone 6a. It had a very slight amount of new growth this year but not much. This winter/spring was a really weird one here so it may have got a bit dry at one point right before it came out of the shed. We had a very late cold spring then it shot up to 80f for a few days which probably got a lot higher in the shed at the time, then it dropped back down to 30's again for a bit before finally having spring set in. The branches are all nice and green under the bark so I think its just some of the leaves. Anything I should/can for it or just keep an eye on it?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At least it did grow some thats good!

Make sure to keep it watered from now on :p
Feed it lightly and maybe ad some lime and wait for the tree to push new growth and let it recover
You could probably remove the yellow dried up leaves too
Hope to see an update soon of a healthy tree ;)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Zone 6a. It had a very slight amount of new growth this year but not much. This winter/spring was a really weird one here so it may have got a bit dry at one point right before it came out of the shed. We had a very late cold spring then it shot up to 80f for a few days which probably got a lot higher in the shed at the time, then it dropped back down to 30's again for a bit before finally having spring set in. The branches are all nice and green under the bark so I think its just some of the leaves. Anything I should/can for it or just keep an eye on it?
If the drainage is ok then at this stage i would add some media to the pot, top dress with shredded sphagnum moss and make sure it does not dry out. Remove dead leaves. Partial shade to more shade during the recovery.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything I trimmed last year and didn't repot died like that over winter.

Well....almost everything...

Likely froze blasted roots that doesn't happen with DE.

Sorce

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
My money is that it got too hot in the shed and maybe dried out a bit as well.

I would just tend to it as you would normally. I have found, after I abused a few boxwood, that they can sometimes be slow to bounce back, but they almost always do. You have lots healthy foliage still. I wouldn’t worry about it and take it as a lesson on what can happen in a hot shed.

Top Bottom