Boxwood Pruning

Reaction score
I've searched, but can't quite make my way through the labyrinth of Boxwood information.

Japanese Boxwood, currently starting to put out new growth (rapidly) once temperatures got out of the 'teens.

I'm curious about pruning. What will happen if I prune now at A or B? Not worried about winter at this point, as it's still 3 months away. I've tried both cuts on my "tester" plant, but it wasn't growing as well as my larger specimen anyhow- still hasn't really responded.

Attachments

• boxwooddiagram.png
    boxwooddiagram.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 33

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Boxwoods are slow growers to begin with. I would think it would not be good to cut back to nothing on the branch. Perhaps Dario can chime in. He has experience with boxwoods.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can see the buds at A it should send shoots there, or a node back. Or both.

B will likely die off. Or send a shoot out of the base of the branch, which will likely bulge ugly .

I always remove one of each opposite buds so to lessen reverse taper. Unless it is a point where division (fork) is needed, or passed what is in the final design. (No need to lose energy)

Sorce

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From the diagram, I'll cut at "A". I always leave some leaves at the tip on mine.

It really depends on what stage your plant is. Building the frame tolerates "coarser" growth but as you get closer to final silhouette, you will need ramification and might have to just leave the first pair of leaves each pruning or pinching.

Unlike what the linked article said, in my experience, boxwood branch remains pliable the first 2 years so I don't really bother wiring them right away unless I want them "relocated". They also seem to respond to wiring easily and set fast. I am not saying you shouldn't because you should do it ASAP...just saying that you don't really have to and the window for it is wide.

I do not have luck encouraging boxwood to back bud on old wood...thankfully, I have very high success veneer/bud grafting it.

Good luck!

tfields

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Boxwood Pruning Follow up Question

I have a follow-up question about pruning a boxwood. I'm very new to bonsai, and so I'm experimenting on two boxwoods in our yard that I was ready to pull out. I pruned them using some of the basic ideas I've learned about bonsai, except that they are still planted in the ground. I thought I would hard prune them now, and then work on shaping them after new growth next spring, and over the next few years.

Except I just read on another site that hard pruning boxwood in the fall is the worst time. Originally I wasn't worried if I messed them up because I was going to get rid of them anyway. Now I'm excited because they are looking like they could shape up into really pretty miniature trees. I know this isn't true bonsai, so I apologize if I'm asking a question that doesn't belong on this forum - but this is a learning experience for me. I really want the box to survive now and I'm afraid they will die over the winter. I live in Indiana, zone 4.

My question is - should I surround the two box with 4 posts and some landscaping fabric to cut down on the wind that they might experience? Any comments on hard pruning a boxwood in mid September in zone 4? Thank you for your help. I'm excited about this site and anxious to start my own bonsai plants!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tfields, you can always wait until spring. I know it's hard to be patient though. If you cut back and it triggers some new growth it may not have time to harden off enough to survive the winter.

tfields

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Boxwood Pruning Follow up Question

Kennedy - thanks for your comment. My problem is that I already pruned it. Now I'm wondering if there is any way that I can help save the boxwood over the winter months. I won't make the same mistake again... but meantime, I'm wondering what I can do to help shield my hard pruned boxwood from a zone 4 winter. Any suggestions?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a zone 4 in Hoosierville??

Since its evergreen, it should harden off ok.

If not, Dario will likely agree, you probly didnt. Chop. It far enough anyways!

No loss!

Pics?

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you live in zone 4 you should protect them from wind in the winter anyway. There isn't that many boxwood planted around here but the ones that are took a shot last winter. Lot of desiccated leaves from being exposed to very cold dry winds.

Top Bottom