Boxwood Replant

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
I have dug up a boxwood and I am looking for advice. It is so large I do not know what where to begin. 3 inch trunk 7 feet tall. Removed from the ground. Where should I start? Re plant in a large pot and wait to trim anything?

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am not a boxwood expert, but depending on how much root ball you have, will probably depend on if you need to trim it or not. After you transplant it, put in shady area for it to recuperate. Good luck.

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
You already started!

Pics!

Sorce

I just don’t know what to do with such a large specimen this is the most I’ve ever done. Very excited but clueless need help

Attachments

• B7BA81F3-3D1B-439F-A071-60661444BCDA.png
    B7BA81F3-3D1B-439F-A071-60661444BCDA.png
    515.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 822CC57F-71D0-4D3D-A48E-F3F20448B256.png
    822CC57F-71D0-4D3D-A48E-F3F20448B256.png
    424.1 KB · Views: 66

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn!

It looks right strong.

I would normally leave green, but in this case, with so little interior folaige, and being so large and healthy, I'd take it all the way back to....pretty much just trunk. As it doesn't seem much current branching is useful.

The alternative, leaving green, is probably going to leave you needing to take it back further later anyway, but later, it will be weaker.

So I reckon your best bet is going hizam!

You're going to dull the shit out some blades!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have a tiger by his tail. You coveted something instead of planning to fulfill a destination that you could provide. It won't end well. But, if you learn to collect a size you can handle and slowly work your way up the scale, that's something. Getting it to live is only one small portion of a much larger process.

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
Damn!

It looks right strong.

I would normally leave green, but in this case, with so little interior folaige, and being so large and healthy, I'd take it all the way back to....pretty much just trunk. As it doesn't seem much current branching is useful.

The alternative, leaving green, is probably going to leave you needing to take it back further later anyway, but later, it will be weaker.

So I reckon your best bet is going hizam!

You're going to dull the shit out some blades!

Sorce

lol dude I found 11 of these things. Neighbor just ripped them out and didn’t want them. I was thinking the same thing I’m about to destroy some blades

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
You have a tiger by his tail. You coveted something instead of planning to fulfill a destination that you could provide. It won't end well. But, if you learn to collect a size you can handle and slowly work your way up the scale, that's something. Getting it to live is only one small portion of a much larger process.
This is just bizarre

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is just bizarre
Not bizarre. The original poster didn't say where he got the tree. forsoothe's response is valid without that info. Digging up a tree, then asking for help, is a little backwards.

With the additional info that the OP has almost a dozen of these popped out of the ground by a neighbor is good information on where to start.

I'd start by getting them into appropriately sized nursery containers with bonsai soil--pots should be big enough to juuuust fit around the root mass, a little root reduction isn't out of the question. I'd wash all the old soil out of the root ball and get new bonsai soil around it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol dude I found 11 of these things. Neighbor just ripped them out and didn’t want them. I was thinking the same thing I’m about to destroy some blades

Are you scooping them all?

Make good decisions. Take your time.

This can't be the best of eleven.

Sorce

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
Are you scooping them all?

Make good decisions. Take your time.

This can't be the best of eleven.

Sorce

Dude I have all of them and idk what to do. They were just going to trash them. Might try an insane forest. But idk how people do that. I have to use the original trunk yeah?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
have to use the original trunk yeah

What do you mean?

Oh and... wicked sick!

A forest be should have different sized trees, I feel like these may be too close to equal sized.

But maybe selecting 2 as main trees for a future forest is a swell idea. As, you won't likely find these again.

Sorce

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
What do you mean?

Oh and... wicked sick!

A forest be should have different sized trees, I feel like these may be too close to equal sized.

But maybe selecting 2 as main trees for a future forest is a swell idea. As, you won't likely find these again.

Sorce

That’s a good idea.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The thought of 11 BIG project trees like this is almost overwhelming. Do you have a shady spot you can put them into the ground, so you can focus on them one at a time in the future?

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
The thought of 11 BIG project trees like this is almost overwhelming. Do you have a shady spot you can put them into the ground, so you can focus on them one at a time in the future?
That’s what I was thinking too. I live on a few acres so I’ll just take them one at a time

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't be hasty!

You can wrap whatever is left of the roots in damp towels or anything as you contemplate what actions you'll take.

I found a boxwood once that was dry AF. Not an internet has been thinking this is cool to say AF AF, but a real AF dry, and this thing popped back wonderfully.

So breath, take your time, and post as many pictures as you can so we can advise smart cuts before you need to make 2 and spend 80 more $ on blades that could be better spent on pots, or more material, or soil, etc....

IMO.

11 trees means 11 different approaches if you are doing things correctly.

Generally, I'd say ground 3 pot 3 and hack 3 but boxwood is too easy and slow growing to make wrong moves.

Sorce

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
Don't be hasty!

You can wrap whatever is left of the roots in damp towels or anything as you contemplate what actions you'll take.

I found a boxwood once that was dry AF. Not an internet has been thinking this is cool to say AF AF, but a real AF dry, and this thing popped back wonderfully.

So breath, take your time, and post as many pictures as you can so we can advise smart cuts before you need to make 2 and spend 80 more $ on blades that could be better spent on pots, or more material, or soil, etc....

IMO.

11 trees means 11 different approaches if you are doing things correctly.

Generally, I'd say ground 3 pot 3 and hack 3 but boxwood is too easy and slow growing to make wrong moves.

Sorce
This one is my current favorite. Styling advice?

Attachments

• AB56B3DD-6391-4552-8538-050A323F0279.jpeg
    AB56B3DD-6391-4552-8538-050A323F0279.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 27F42E3A-65B1-487C-A7F4-ED8487473D5A.jpeg
    27F42E3A-65B1-487C-A7F4-ED8487473D5A.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 67B75D73-5480-441F-87D0-C06C1A7C47AC.jpeg
    67B75D73-5480-441F-87D0-C06C1A7C47AC.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 1BBAE26C-6963-4411-B01A-C2212C8D5A83.jpeg
    1BBAE26C-6963-4411-B01A-C2212C8D5A83.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1AE6CCE7-5850-4437-8E79-C2C351A2559D.jpeg
    1AE6CCE7-5850-4437-8E79-C2C351A2559D.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 23
  • 67D5E719-8222-49EA-BC4C-CD46813FD80B.jpeg
    67D5E719-8222-49EA-BC4C-CD46813FD80B.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 28

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Styling advice?

Good advice, is that styling advice at this point is impossible.

Styling advice that IS actually possible at this point is limited to, "cut that root off, the one perpendicular across the big one."

The rest....
Is cutting it to only what exists in the first picture and hoping it does something that allows for further styling advice.

After that, we may consider both trunks being about the same size so one should be removed blah blah blah.....doesn't matter much yet.

Unless it does, where you can leave one trunk fully leaved to severely outgrow the other, so the size difference becomes evident. But to absolute hell with that plan for now, since another of the 11 probly serves as a better double trunk specimen.

More pics!
But as a test....

Make the next one be the best double trunk specimen. This can be after days of research, or a simple reread of the above.
😉🤔

Sorce

Joel Osteen

Sapling
Reaction score
Good advice, is that styling advice at this point is impossible.

Styling advice that IS actually possible at this point is limited to, "cut that root off, the one perpendicular across the big one."

The rest....
Is cutting it to only what exists in the first picture and hoping it does something that allows for further styling advice.

After that, we may consider both trunks being about the same size so one should be removed blah blah blah.....doesn't matter much yet.

Unless it does, where you can leave one trunk fully leaved to severely outgrow the other, so the size difference becomes evident. But to absolute hell with that plan for now, since another of the 11 probly serves as a better double trunk specimen.

More pics!
But as a test....

Make the next one be the best double trunk specimen. This can be after days of research, or a simple reread of the above.
😉🤔

Sorce
Update. Spent all day with these damn things. Ended up planting most of them in the ground by the woods on the back of my property and will try to work on them a bit as they root. It’s so hot here 90+ I don’t know if they will make it outside the ground planting

Top Bottom