Boxwood Repot and a New Pot

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The freeze that we had a while back damaged the pot that my favorite boxwood was in so I decided to give it a new home this evening. I did not really like the pot and it was just a cheap Chinese model. The pot I choose came with from a local potter, Barry Wyatt, I like the way the blues go with the green foliage. As you can see, it put on a bunch of roots this last year, they had filled the pot. Here is what I did:

John

DSC00714-1.jpg DSC00718-1.jpg DSC00720-1.jpg DSC00721-1.jpg DSC00722-1.jpg DSC00724-1.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is one cool trunk. I love the shape and the planting angle. The first picture is really great image. I like the shape of the pot, but the color design is kinda a retro tie dye thing going on.

Reactions: Vin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the look of he trunk in the last photo!

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great looking trunk indeed! The right and left foliage pads could be tightened up with just a few clips and make the whole tree look more finished...

What is your plan for the apex? Is it still being grown out? Looks like you could just get it to fatten up and round off a bit and you would be good to go!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, guys. I have had this one for a long time, it was a roadside rescue. there are several dead spots on the trunk. it was hacked up with and ax when it was removed from the landscaping and it had been on the roadside for several days. Also, it was pretty early into my induction to the world of bonsai so it may not have gotten the best of treatment. The pot was not my first choice, I had actually picked a dark brown, unglazed pot that my dad gave, but it would not fit in it, so I had to swap horses in the middle of the race. The pot that I have it in now is the only one that I had available that it would fit into. The "tie dye" pattern in not as apparent in natural lighting, it had gotten dark on me and the flood l

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Great looking trunk indeed! The right and left foliage pads could be tightened up with just a few clips and make the whole tree look more finished...

What is your plan for the apex? Is it still being grown out? Looks like you could just get it to fatten up and round off a bit and you would be good to go!

I am still working on the apex. I hope for it to have a more rounded canopy and not so pointed.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update and a Re-wire:

This one has grown will this year and I have been wanting to do something with it all year but extra time was very limited this season. So, I had the afternoon free today and I took the time to give it a trim and wire. Here it is before:

DSC09870-1.jpg

DSC09871-1.jpg

DSC09874-1.jpg

DSC09875-1.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Here it is after all of the work. Sorry for the crappy photography, I ran out of daylight and had to finish up inside. Here is the finished product, what do you think?

DSC09902 (2)-1.jpg

DSC09904 (2) -1.jpg

DSC09905-1.jpg

DSC09907-1.jpg

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn! I didn't notice how cut up that trunk is!

I like it!

Dude, bro, man, this thing is looking really good!

Sorce

Edit for. 15 times as good now! bRO!

Edit too, I love the pad placement. Very well placed!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks guys!

Sorce, I really don't like all the dead wood on it, but that is how it turned out. It was hacked up pretty bad when I picked it up off the side of the road and a lot of the larger branches died and rotted. It is so damp here it is hard to keep up with it. Hopefully I have it under control.

Grimmy, I don't know when they will strike next, but I am always on the look out.

Thanks, Geo, well see if it lives up to that compliment.

John

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It has been a while since I have updated this one. I had really grow since I unwired it and was in bad need of a hair cut, so, I decided to give it a trim and also threw some wire on here and there. I know the apex is kinda pointy, but I plan to round it out a bit as it grows.

Before:

DSC05305-1.jpg

DSC05306-1.jpg

DSC05307-1.jpg

DSC05308-1.jpg

After:

DSC05310-1.jpg

DSC05311-1.jpg

DSC05312-1.jpg

DSC05313-1.jpg

Has anyone seen these black things on the bottom of their boxwood leaves? It is raised and can be scratched off. Some type of scale?

DSC05309-1.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is raised and can be scratched off. Some type of scale?

I got em, read it's caterpillar or other insect scat.
Haven't found any caterpillars but I have seen what looks like a cross between an aphid and a leaf hopper...a few ...but they seem harmless.

I think this tree looked way better when first in this pot...
A little more sparse.

Can you build one or two pads of each pad?

Still love this one!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John...how new is the website?
Looks cool but some clicks won't click.

Nice!

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree, MM. We had a really bad invasion of Boxwood caterpillars in spring https://www.google.sk/search?num=10...1j0i30k1j0i13k1j0i13i30k1j30i10k1.-5XNZig12AY and many garden and cemetery trees were literally eaten and killed. I saved the trees in mom's garden collecting the caterpillars manually and spraying insecticide. Hmm, at the first glance the issue looked like spider mite infestation, many empty spaces - holes in foliage, black spots and webbing... The bastards can complete up to three life cycles in one season here. Careful.

Top Bottom