Boxwood repot

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected this boxwood from my front walk in April 2015.
1.jpg
2.jpg
I trimmed a good bit of foliage off after potting it but it hasn't really thrived. I think that my poor dense soil might be the cause.
3.jpg
So today, I did a repot. It had a fair amount of healthy roots, but for two years growing in that pot, I feel it should have been more.
4.jpg
I flattened the bottom of the main roots, and injured the bark on the bottom and spread some rooting powder.
Here it is in its new pot with better soil.
5.jpg
And a close up of the major reverse taper, and some of the interesting deadwood and sort of a burl on the main trunk.
6.jpg
I figured that since I had messed with the roots, this would be a good time to do some carving because that really moves/shakes the tree.
7.jpg
The trunk has decent movement with that front, but I miss some of that side branch deadwood that is seen in the following shot.8.jpg
Here it is with a future planting angle.
8.jpg
9.jpg
I intend to cut back that straight right branch when it backbuds near that backward growing leaf.
And I need to choose an apex and get it wired before the branches set, which they do pretty quickly on these.

Fingers crossed that it will grow better in the new soil (1/1/1 Lava/Pumice/8822.
CW

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love working with boxwood. Always keeping an eye on construction sites for castaway gems. Look forward to good news in future update.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a good feeling about this one bouncing back.

This thread made me repot mine....
If I waited it woulda died...

Thanks 4 that!

Sorce

Top Bottom