boxwood rescue project

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a boxwood (i think?) I rescued from a place where neighbors can leave plants or soil to be taken to recycling plant. It had been grown in large shallow pot, and then just lifted and driven to this dump site. It had been sitting in full sun a couple of days when I cut away enough roots so I could transport it home. I just planted it in our garden and it survived. Roots were about 1x1 m (10 square feet) and 15 cm (6 inches) deep. Almost no thick roots, very fine ones

Question: Does it look to be in okay health judging from the pics, or does it appears to be suffering?

Question2: If okay health, could I place it in a training pot spring 2023, or should I keep it in the ground for longer?

IMG_20220906_135547.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_135502.jpg
    IMG_20220906_135502.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 43

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, didn't know boxwood would survive in Sweden's climate. Looks healthy enough, with a substantial base. Do you plan to protect it in winter? Since you have to move it I'd put it in a pot immediately.

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh I forgot to say it has been in the ground of our garden a year now. I suspect it is buxus sempervirens which is winter hardy here. I do not plan to protect it other than maybe put leafs on the ground

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This rescue project has started looking sad recently. Yellow tint on some leafs near the apex and white leaf edges. Seasonal changes or do I do something wrong? No frosty nights here yet

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The white edge varigation is pretty common with boxwood.

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The white edge varigation is pretty common with boxwood.
Ok, good to know, thanks. The yellow/bronze looking leafs though? Nutrient deficiency or something? I didn't feed this tree at all this summer. I could apply PK fertilizer now during autumn

Top Bottom