Boxwood training suggestions?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the boxwood from the original post as it is now most of the original “trunks” have been removed or reduced. I’m still waiting for the backbudding I need to compact it furtherEDEC09B7-EEA1-4F43-95E6-6DBB795C20D4.jpeg3A47A85D-DEA5-48C7-97C7-CA44B7BB7A6A.jpeg

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
If you don’t have the back budding you want by mid spring next year, a root prune and cutting back each branch to the lowest four leaves has gotten me more backbudding then I ever wanted. And you can use it to really get the roots horizontal on one plane. They look like they are already shaped for a nice nebari if you can get the roots growing only where you need them.
Here is my buxus oak thread:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/a-blue-bill-buxus-built-to-be-a-broom.25523/

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don’t have the back budding you want by mid spring next year, a root prune and cutting back each branch to the lowest four leaves has gotten me more backbudding then I ever wanted. And you can use it to really get the roots horizontal on one plane. They look like they are already shaped for a nice nebari if you can get the roots growing only where you need them.
Here is my buxus oak thread:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/a-blue-bill-buxus-built-to-be-a-broom.25523/
Thanks for the reply. That’s in the plans for next May! There was no real repotting this year. I’ve heard that cutting back too far without also removing root mass is not wise. I like what you’ve done with this tree.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s been awhile since I posted anything on this tree. The boxwood was just trimmed back and had some wire removed. Here is how it looks now.221BCB3A-44E2-488C-9886-DE3313870F34.jpeg
Before I started, the back and sides were entirely solid. I’m going to let it fill in again for the rest of the year. The right side in particular needs to lengthen, and taper and ramification needs to improve. I’m satisfied with the old oak/deciduous image iris taking on. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 2F006FE4-1BA9-43F8-9600-BE845387D5EE.jpeg
    2F006FE4-1BA9-43F8-9600-BE845387D5EE.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Vin

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some of the wounds on the trunk. Some should close as the tree grows, some will become small uros.5BC895A0-D587-4532-A9D8-044A1B9582D0.jpeg

Reaction score
@Vin do you happen to know how too much roots wih less leaves was harmful to the tree? I recently did a heavy prune and was hesitant to root prune to not stress the tree out too much. With the season getting ready to turn over to a hardening phase, im wondering if i should rectify that this year before overwintering

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Vin do you happen to know how too much roots wih less leaves was harmful to the tree? I recently did a heavy prune and was hesitant to root prune to not stress the tree out too much. With the season getting ready to turn over to a hardening phase, im wondering if i should rectify that this year before overwintering
It is a balancing act that is difficult to just throw a number out there without knowing your particular tree. Generally speaking, a boxwood that is thriving and actively growing can take a higher percentage of foliage pruning in relation to root pruning. A weaker tree has a much harder time dealing with a lack of balance. If you have already pruned your foliage and the tree is responding well I would not try to rectify anything this year. Next Spring, I would repot and address the roots and then "balance" prune the foliage.

Top Bottom