Boxwood Turning Yellow

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Just wondering if anyone could give me some advise on my boxwood. The leaves are turning yellow. Scratch test shows green. Temps in the mid to upper 30s overnight.
I suppose it could have been the wind?

14-1.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was it healthy last fall? I would keep it out of the wind and cold until non-freezing temps come. Maybe it's just unhappy with the temp swings. The green is a good sign, but it obviously needs a little help.

Cash

Seed
Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s hard to say without knowing the exact history of the tree over the last few months. Soil, water, light, fertilization, status of roots, etc could all be an issue and difficult to pinpoint without knowing what has been done. Maybe the temp as well. Best bet is to leave it completely along this year. Water is a bit less than normal, but don’t let it get too dry. The tree will suck up less water than if it was really healthy and you don’t want any root rot.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This tree was in my attached unheated garage all winter until it started to green up from the bronze color from the cold as I did the previous year. It was healthy last fall. Looked good all winter. The last two or three days it just started turning yellow.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This time of year its a tough call. What I can say with confidence is that it's currently not in a good place and it would be bad for more stuff to happen to it. As was said it doesn't need much water right now, keep it out of the wind. Hopefully it will come out of dormancy and perk up a bit. It might be suffering from the extended amounts of cold we had this year.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Do you think I should put it back into the garage? Or just cover it at night?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what your forecast is for the next few days but we are suppossed to get into the 20's. If that's true for you, I'd put it in the garage which I assume hovers above freezing, now days.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Its been in the mid to upper 30s overnight for a week or two down here.

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Any update on the boxy? ;)

Top Bottom