Boxwood woes

Bonesigh

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey folks. I practice the art of bonsai in California many years ago and did pretty well. I have been living in Northern Virginia close to West Virginia for 13 years now. I have muddled around with bonsai but nothing serious. It’s hard here and I have not had much luck. Most of my trees are still in the ground.
Well, I dug up to box with that I rescued from a neighbors front yard. They’ve been growing in the ground for three years. I let them soak in a bucket of water for quite some time. Over a week. Due to being busy then sick. They still look fine and nice and green. So I put them in these need pots I found at a nursery. They have a drainage hole and an empty underneath area within the pot for drainage. I bought soil online.

Now the boxwoods are dying. One is all brown the other still has some green. The branches are still pliable. Is there anyway to rescue these boxwoods. They really have good ramification. I’d hate to lose them.

Les Lonsdale

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It sounds to me like they are suffering because of suffocating the roots in water for so long, and also because of transplanting them this late in the year, probably losing too many precious roots. I would keep them in the shade and keep them damp but not soaking. Only time will tell if they will survive. Don't toss them however, because I've had several trees that I could have sworn were dead, and a month or so later, I would see green popping out on them!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A week is way too long submerged in water and it's not he right time to pull them out of the ground (basically what Les said). You may get lucky but I have found once a boxwood starts its decline, it's pretty much over. Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi bonesigh, sorry to hear about your boxwood troubles. I hope you might still find some nursery stock that interests you. Lots of stuff appears on sale this time of year and in the next month. Then you can plan all winter!

Bonesigh

Seedling
Reaction score
It sounds to me like they are suffering because of suffocating the roots in water for so long, and also because of transplanting them this late in the year, probably losing too many precious roots. I would keep them in the shade and keep them damp but not soaking. Only time will tell if they will survive. Don't toss them however, because I've had several trees that I could have sworn were dead, and a month or so later, I would see green popping out on them!
I think one might just make it. Thanks ?

Top Bottom