Boxwood

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is one of the boxwoods I dug from my front yard hedgerow that I previously posted in this thread: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?5017-Collected-Boxwoods . I repotted it in a workshop with Kathy Shaner last month. Obviously the branching needs refinement and will eventually get a smaller, nicer pot, but I think it's getting there...

Any comments, criticisms, and advice are welcome. :)

boxwood122013_zps7243982f.jpg

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
looks very nice but needs some wiring of the newer shoots to "lay down" their natural vertical growth

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you explored lower if it has a better nebari underneath? I think/feel it has much more to offer than what is shown right now.

On the other hand...if you did this with Kathy, I am sure she explored before the repot. I just can't believe it doesn't have much bigger roots and a flare because all of mine have. They all have shallower fine roots but you just have to punch through that to get to the big ones.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
looks very nice but needs some wiring of the newer shoots to "lay down" their natural vertical growth

Agreed. I haven't done any work on the foliar portion of the tree for some time. Kathy advised against any work for a while following the repot in order to let it recover. I'll update the thread after I've done some wiring and pruning.

Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Have you explored lower if it has a better nebari underneath? I think/feel it has much more to offer than what is shown right now.

On the other hand...if you did this with Kathy, I am sure she explored before the repot. I just can't believe it doesn't have much bigger roots and a flare because all of mine have. They all have shallower fine roots but you just have to punch through that to get to the big ones.
Dario,
There is a decent flare there that will be revealed following future repottings. Kathy planted it a bit deeper than ideal due to the fact that we did some major root work.

Cory

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great trunk and base...love the deadwood and hollows. I'd guess there is a better nebari there that will get exposed down the road? The tree looks very healthy and already developing a nice canopy. Nice job.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario,
There is a decent flare there that will be revealed following future repottings. Kathy planted it a bit deeper than ideal due to the fact that we did some major root work.

Cory

Good to know. What a relief! It should look so much nicer once the flared base is exposed. :)

Thanks!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is one beautiful tree in training!

Rob

Last edited:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm showing this tree at the REBS show later this month so I thought I'd share it on here. I'll give it some nice top dressing before-hand but this is basically what will be there. I have no idea where to find good moss (esp. this time of year) so that probably won't happen.

Any suggestions are appreciated. This is my first time showing a tree (I know... it took me long enough!:D) so any pointers I can receive from those old pros out here would be great.

Cory

Attachments

• boxwood.jpg
    boxwood.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 172
  • boxwood2.jpg
    boxwood2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 161
  • boxwood3.jpg
    boxwood3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 135
  • boxwood4.jpg
    boxwood4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 147

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I just bought some moss on ebay from someone in KY. to put on a tree for the Nanpuki show in Los Angeles August 24th and 25th. It was pretty good looking and seems to be pretty strong. I'll let you know after next week when it's going to be 100 or so.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful tree..I like both pic 1 and pic 2 for the front. Is there an inbetween view for a possible future front. What I like about pic 2 is the fact that the trunk on the right is dominant or thicker. The front in the first pic is very nice, but the trunks both look equally powerful. I think twin trunks look best when one is dominant.

Either way, this is a very nice looking bonsai.

Rob

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Beautiful tree..I like both pic 1 and pic 2 for the front. Is there an inbetween view for a possible future front. What I like about pic 2 is the fact that the trunk on the right is dominant or thicker. The front in the first pic is very nice, but the trunks both look equally powerful. I think twin trunks look best when one is dominant.

Either way, this is a very nice looking bonsai.

Rob

I think Kathy mentioned something similar to this last time she saw the tree. We may change the front slightly and also rotate it vertically somewhat so the dominant tree is even more so.

I also want to get this into a shallower, more appropriate pot in a couple of years. Does anyone have a pot suggestion?

Thanks,
Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Getting ready for the REBS annual show on Saturday and Sunday. Hope to see some of the BNuts there!

Cory

Attachments

• boxwood 8:14.jpg
    boxwood 8:14.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 141

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice!

I just took a boxwood 'yamadori' from my front-yard too and I must say that yours make me feel a little jaleous! Very nice trunk and foliage! :rolleyes:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just took a boxwood 'yamadori' from my front-yard too and I must say that yours make me feel a little jaleous! Very nice trunk and foliage! :rolleyes:

Right on. Boxwoods from hedges make great bonsai. They develop (in my experience) really quickly, too. I'm sure you could have one on the level of mine within a few years.

Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Carving...amazes me. Was there dead wood or did you carve a healthy trunk? Love the moss and the root system that was hidden earlier.

Thanks. There was no deadwood on the trunk before I carved it. I thought it would add interest to an otherwise uninteresting trunk (in my opinion). At a recent workshop, one of the attendees commented on the carving looking like Edvard Munch's "The Scream". I took it as a compliment.:rolleyes: He also said he thought that the back would make a better front. Oh, well... To each his own.

Dan Robinson has been quoted as saying, "Every tree deserves deadwood". I couldn't agree more.

Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update

I did some spring cleaning, pruning and wiring on this tree recently. I think it gets better every year. I'm letting the secondary apex on the main tree run in order to thicken it a bit more.

Attachments

• boxwood #1.jpg
    boxwood #1.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom