Boxwood

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anybody have any pot suggestions? I plan on repotting it into a shallower show pot next spring. Also, I'll probably rotate the front a bit to the right and tip it a little to the left.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anybody have any pot suggestions? I plan on repotting it into a shallower show pot next spring. Also, I'll probably rotate the front a bit to the right and tip it a little to the left.
I would keep it on the deep side for health, as boxwood roots are big and dry out quickly. Mine suffered a bit in shallow pots. Show pots can be shallower, but I wouldn't go crazy with it and risk the health of this tree.
Maybe a dark blue footed and lipped oval. Cream rectangle. Red clay Chinese rectangle, lipped and footed.
It's coming along nicely.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have been pretty absent from this website and from bonsai in general for quite a few years. I've done little more than keep my trees alive and, as a result, they had become quite overgrown and in need of some TLC. Recently, I decided to give them some attention and did some pruning and thinning on my Boxwood. Here is the result. Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• IMG_20190708_160238.jpg
    IMG_20190708_160238.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 90

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I notice with this tree that I need to do some wiring to develop the pads a bit and also put some movement into some of them. That coupled with a bit of hard pruning after I've got some backbudding and I can start getting this tree back into shape.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree. There are some spots that need to be thinned out and/or wired down, but nice structure. Should clean up in no time.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree is going into this pot next Spring!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190825_185116.jpg
    MVIMG_20190825_185116.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 51

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
No that Pot doesn't work....Your Boxwood is, IMO, a Magnificent, Showpiece, Masterpiece.....the Pot is overpowering the Boxwood and taking the Eye away from the Tree....
It needs a Shallower, Unglazed Brown or Earthlike color without any significant Lip, nothing sticking up and take the ground cover including some Moss right up to the pot edges.....and covering the edges in some places.....
Show off that Boxwood.....you've done good...
I consider your Boxwood Bonsai Naturalistic in Style and the Trunk sets it apart from all others, I hope Walter Pall stops by and comments...

Last edited:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you for your comment, Bolero. I'm sorry that you don't like the pairing. I was quite pleased with it and didn't feel that it overpowered the tree in any way. As for putting it in a shallower pot, I'm not willing to compromise the tree's health in pursuit of an ulta-shallow pot. It's already in a far shallower pot than before. Typically pot depth equals (give or take) the trunk width. Given this is a twin trunk, it easily meets this criteria. See @Brian Van Fleet comment about pot above.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the pot is excellent.

I may be in the minority here, but I tend to love pots that complement the color in the trunk. Not always, but often. Here, I think it looks great. I also think the size and shape are on point. Nice!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love this tree and this matching pot, too. Striking trunks! With just a little clip & grow to make space for the birdies to fly through and unify the clouds by trimming them to have similar shaped crowns (not topiary-like), it's among the best. Congratulations!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I love this tree and this matching pot, too. Striking trunks! With just a little clip & grow to make space for the birdies to fly through and unify the clouds by trimming them to have similar shaped crowns (not topiary-like), it's among the best. Congratulations!
Thanks. It's definitely in need of a trim. I'll post up another pic after I've done some maintenance pruning.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think the pot is excellent.

I may be in the minority here, but I tend to love pots that complement the color in the trunk. Not always, but often. Here, I think it looks great. I also think the size and shape are on point. Nice!
Thanks for your comments. I wasn't sure if it was going match the bark too closely but I really like the pairing.
I intended to use the other side of the pot as the front but was so concerned with getting the tree wired in, the planting angle, and nebari depth that I didn't notice that my intended front was in the back. See the pot pic above. I like the interest in the glaze on that side better. Oh well, next repot.

Top Bottom