boxwoods losing branches

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Two local bonsai friends and I have been slowly losing our boxwoods these last 3 years or so. The leaves start turning brown and the branch eventually dies. My 3" trunked literati boxwood is the latest victim. About 75% of it started turning brown in just the last 3 days. I'm swearing off of boxwoods until we can figure this out. My nearest bonsai buddy, who has a degree in horticulture and was raised in a family nursery, has tried everything he could and he has lost several once they started browning. He even barerooted one particular tree, soaked it in a Daconil solution for 2 days and repotted it. It too started showing signs of browning. My buddy's research says that there is no cure for this affliction. Bummer.

I am not going to wait a year to see my prized tree slowly die, so I cut all the foliage and roots off of it and will hang it on the wall of shame.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

I think there is a minimum foliage requirement.

Like, with enough reserves of energy to reach it after a hard prune, you're ok, but if not, slowly down hill because it can't catch up.

Or blight.

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Even my friend is not sure. It happens really fast when it starts and nothing we've found stops it. I guess the tree might have "survived" for a couple of more years but it would have been a 3 foot trunk with one pitiful tiny pad on top. Nope. Not doing that. Rip the Band Aide off and move on.

Top Bottom