Boy am I new at bonsia.

Skip

Seed
Reaction score
To start this is my first post sure could use some help. This is a new hobby that took me 69 years to find, I love these little trees. Well I bought a little elm from one of the internet stores and two hundred or so in bonsia tools I'm ready HA. One thing on my pea brain what do here in Louisville Ky. with my tree this winter. I was ready to purchase an hunt for more trees but worried about what to do this winter. I want to do all I can to insure the trees health an not hurt them. I have read keep in garage or build a cold frame but no details. Sure would apreciate a reply or pm. thanks in advance, Skip

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome,
For my Chinese elms I leave outside unless the temps are going to get below about 28 FI then put them in my garage until the temps raise back up above 28. Seems to work good for me. We usually don't have long spells of freezing temps. Deciduous trees that drop leaves in the winter I let them get a light frost. Their leaves drop then I store them in the garage all winter until there buds start to swell in spring. I leave all of my conifers outside all winter. All of my tropicals go inside the house as soon as night time temps get down to 55 F.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
My Chinese elm stays out on my benches for 365 days a year. Freezes solid in winter.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I store mine in the garage overwinter and have a very long cold winter. This is only my 2nd winter keeping bonsai.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What Jim said. Assuming it's the species and not a slightly less hardy dwarf cultivar, a Chinese Elm should stay outside in KY year round, with fairly typical overwintering precautions like mulching the pot in a location that will freeze but won't be in the winter wind and sun...they are hardy to usda zone 5...that's minus 20 F:).

Top Bottom