Bracket Fungus on Potential Collection

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had my eye on a couple of spindles (Euonymus Europaeus) for a couple of years now which have bracket fungus growing at the base. I’d love to collect them because they have potential to be really quite unique looking trees on a species I don’t have. I know very little about fungi in general, so can anybody tell me if this is a no go for collection? Will the tree die imminently? Will it infect my others and if so is it only a deadwood thing? Ta.
8B8BA518-DB08-4F26-B16A-6B0781F66C5E.jpeg45620B88-74E2-4D3C-8D5E-9BA1E53D897B.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They look like trametes versicolor, or turkey tail. Those live strictly on dead wood.

For a positive identification I can recommend placing some tinfoil below a bracket and leave it there for a day or two. The spores they're releasing will leave a fine dust, the color of those spores important for identification purposes.
But they look old, and the fruiting bodies might be dead already, if that's the case (no fresh-ish looking growth rings on the outside) you'd have to ID it from looks of the bracket.

It probably wouldn't hurt your other plants if its turkey tail and it will not kill live tissue. But it will break down bark and other dead parts. It needs damp conditions to do so though, so removing the moss might get it to recede and never turn back.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I’ve had my eye on a couple of spindles (Euonymus Europaeus) for a couple of years now which have bracket fungus growing at the base. I’d love to collect them because they have potential to be really quite unique looking trees on a species I don’t have. I know very little about fungi in general, so can anybody tell me if this is a no go for collection? Will the tree die imminently? Will it infect my others and if so is it only a deadwood thing? Ta.
View attachment 470111View attachment 470112
Fungus typically grows on dead tissue. That would indicate to me that a substantial portion of the trunks of these are dead and rotting away under the moss. If you dig these up, the trunks will probably be mostly dead in large sections, possibly making them unusable for bonsai.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
They look like trametes versicolor, or turkey tail. Those live strictly on dead wood.

For a positive identification I can recommend placing some tinfoil below a bracket and leave it there for a day or two. The spores they're releasing will leave a fine dust, the color of those spores important for identification purposes.
But they look old, and the fruiting bodies might be dead already, if that's the case (no fresh-ish looking growth rings on the outside) you'd have to ID it from looks of the bracket.

It probably wouldn't hurt your other plants if its turkey tail and it will not kill live tissue. But it will break down bark and other dead parts. It needs damp conditions to do so though, so removing the moss might get it to recede and never turn back.
Hmmm interesting, thanks, I might give that a go. I think some of the fruiting bodies are newish and some look dead or at least not fresh. If turkey tails and they’re dead would they ever harden or just turn to mush? I was planning on removing the moss anyway which i thought may inhibit it a bit. They’re currently growing in a ditch on the edge of a woodland so straight away they’d dry up some regardless. I like the shape as a feature really. Never seen it on a bonsai, but they always look cool in nature.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Fungus typically grows on dead tissue. That would indicate to me that a substantial portion of the trunks of these are dead and rotting away under the moss. If you dig these up, the trunks will probably be mostly dead in large sections, possibly making them unusable for bonsai.
I did think that that would probably be the case being dead under there, particularly as there is fresh signs of bark being stripped by deer. If the fungus can be preserved and not cause harm, that would kind of tie in with the design I can see for them. If the fungus would have to be removed it would probably kill the image anyway as I’m not sure how interesting they are otherwise.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Is NOT "infection":rolleyes:! Wet already dead wood is place of normal habitation. No threat to tree health.
Cheers for the confirmation of no threat to the live tree. I meant affect or inoculate really. I normally call other people out for silly stuff like that, so I’m happy to be corrected! Shouldn’t be a concern for my other trees unless their deadwood is wet and rotting then?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting, thanks, I might give that a go. I think some of the fruiting bodies are newish and some look dead or at least not fresh. If turkey tails and they’re dead would they ever harden or just turn to mush? I was planning on removing the moss anyway which i thought may inhibit it a bit. They’re currently growing in a ditch on the edge of a woodland so straight away they’d dry up some regardless. I like the shape as a feature really. Never seen it on a bonsai, but they always look cool in nature.
They would harden first, then a couple years later turn to mush. But they can be preserved with epoxy if you want, it should make the colors pop a whole lot more.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did think that that would probably be the case being dead under there, particularly as there is fresh signs of bark being stripped by deer. If the fungus can be preserved and not cause harm, that would kind of tie in with the design I can see for them. If the fungus would have to be removed it would probably kill the image anyway as I’m not sure how interesting they are otherwise.
There is no design future in the fungus. It will die off (either quickly after collection, or in a few months as conditions around the trunk change). I would skip this tree and find a more viable bonsai candidate.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am with Rock. If I look at these I do not really see bonsai. Is it worth collecting?
(but then again, I have a nice bonsai of eonymous which in the beginnen was the laughing stock of my club)

Top Bottom