Bradford Pear...I think.....

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If these are volunteers that you collected, they are probably more similar to Callery pear, the wild ancestor of Bradford. I've had a Callerypear for over 20 years. It isn't a bonsai, the aesthetics are wrong. More of a potted topiary freak with coiled roots, but I maintain it with bonsai techniques. It is REALLY easy, almost bullet proof.

Yours look interesting! I think the species would work well for multi-trunk or clump style since it is so eager to grow root sprouts.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
5th one down is a pear. Others probably crabapple.

I have a lot at my disposal too, but most grow a deep tap root I don't care to deal with. I have two I'm dealing with at the moment.
Thanks for the ID update. Fortunately these didn’t have a whole lot of a tap root, so they came out easily and have been pushing growth well.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Something new for me, I've discovered a species I had never heard before. It seems it is much more common in the US, I read on the French version of Wikipedia :

Pyrus calleryana :

(...) L'arbre qui a survécu aux attentats du 11 septembre 2001 à Manhattan est un Pyrus calleryana (...)

Good luck with your trees 👍

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Something new for me, I've discovered a species I had never heard before. It seems it is much more common in the US, I read on the French version of Wikipedia :

Pyrus calleryana :

(...) L'arbre qui a survécu aux attentats du 11 septembre 2001 à Manhattan est un Pyrus calleryana (...)

Thank you!

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Pyrus calleryana :

Alain,

I've got a pair of calleryana, apparently they can easily be propagated by hardwood cuttings if you want some :) The smell of the flowers is "interesting" but they grow fast and bark up quickly.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im thinking its not bradford due to the deeper serration on leaf edge and overall shape lackong that rounded heartshaped typical of pear
In treework I encounter bradfords left and right and thats just my initial reaction

Still very nice stock I like your choices allot and will be interested to see it progress

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've got a pair of calleryana, apparently they can easily be propagated by hardwood cuttings if you want some :)

Well, if you've got one to trade, I'd be happy to get one. I have several trees I can send you in return, from an 80 cm-tall Sequoia sempervirens to a Dunkeld larch, and dozens of 1,2,3 year-old seedlings (Celtis laevigata, Acer palmatum, and a few others).

Let's keep in touch, tell me when you've got something to swap ;)

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is young bradford/callery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201109-123458.png
    Screenshot_20201109-123458.png
    270.2 KB · Views: 12

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR

Pyrus calleryana :

please don't manhattane me

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
please don't manhattane me

I don't understand what you mean : PinNoir is French for "Black Pine".

I've never been to the US myself, but to me Manhattan relates to my thirties - not "the thirties". I really can't understand why you dig out a months' old thread to aggress me. Nonplussed, flabbergasted, stunned like someone at home being hit on the head with a crowbar from someone he never met, never saw, never heard of. A hate crime ? 😄

Last edited:
Top Bottom