Bradford pear new leader to the moon!

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When I chopped this spring it went a couple months without doing anything, so for a while I thought I killed it. Then late June it showed signs of life and lately been on a tear! Please excuse the dead grass. This area is my two dogs’ favorite pee spot.F82EA14F-3B9A-40A2-AF3B-EBB505B0F2A1.jpeg6AC213FD-BAAA-48D3-872F-141DA77105B2.jpeg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I chopped this spring it went a couple months without doing anything, so for a while I thought I killed it. Then late June it showed signs of life and lately been on a tear! Please excuse the dead grass. This area is my two dogs’ favorite pee spot.View attachment 450319View attachment 450320
It does look more like an Ash. In addition, if you were to chop that low on a Bradford Pear tree you would like cut off the Bradford portion and be left with the original rootstock, a Callery Pear. They are horribly invasive here in Georgia.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok thanks, I guess its not a bradford pear! I was assuming it was just based on the fact that there is a big one in my yard and assumed it was one of its babies.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I chopped this spring it went a couple months without doing anything, so for a while I thought I killed it. Then late June it showed signs of life and lately been on a tear! Please excuse the dead grass. This area is my two dogs’ favorite pee spot.View attachment 450319View attachment 450320
My yard has the same issue with two dogs…. I feel you

DavidBoren

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Leave it in the ground, but wire some movement into the trunk down low... use guy wires to help it out... you could even just push a post into the ground next to it, and wrap it around the post a few times. Next spring, chop it nice and short, probably around 12-18 inches, then let it grow all summer.

When it loses it's leaves fall of '23, choose a new leader, wire it all up, and chop everything you don't want. You can dig it up to stick in a pot spring of '24, or just keep chopping it back to ~18" where it is for the next 35 years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking....."ash hole".

Seems confirmed.

Bro....I walked out behind the garage of this Airbnb and found a zucchini, ate it, it was fire, and the healthiest looking kale plant I ever seen!

Been chilling with a skunk here all night.

Bout to make kale chips in this airfryer-dehydrator-a bunch of other sh...
But don't know how!

Tips welcome!

Heh...you made the name!😉, I just always happen to have a kale story to tell!

Sorce

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce my mom made the name! Story of my life lol i do love a good kale story. I recently discovered Tajin makes a great seasoning for kale chips btw!

DavidBoren

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Leave it in the ground, but maybe chop it above the first set of branches/leaves, and practice carving on that base/stump...
F82EA14F-3B9A-40A2-AF3B-EBB505B0F2A1~2.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed to cut back just above first leaves but wait until after leaves drop so all energy put back in roots for Spring. Need to grow new movement in boring straight trunk.😊

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the info @DavidBoren and @Potawatomi13 ! I was definitely contemplating when and where to chop next but also thinking I should let it go another year to blend with the lowest section of trunk. I have staked down this leader to keep it from going straight up.

Top Bottom