Brainstorming mountainside mixed forest

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For this project I'm drawing inspiration from childhood memories of vacationing and hiking in the Appalachian mountains and looking at vistas with mostly deciduous trees at the base and mostly conifers near the peaks.

Here are some key things I'm thinking about so far, but I'd welcome more ideas or specific details or materials that might help this project come to fruition.
  • Will ultimately want to plant this in some kind of vessel that has some elevation change - going for a mountainside-type view.
    • Some options
      • Rock planting
      • Slab on a big incline
      • Slab or pot on a small incline with a rock planting on it
    • Just thinking about it, I'm imagining finding the right vessel or rock to make this look good is probably going to be key.
  • To give the piece some perspective of looking up to the top of a mountain, I might have to use some serious tricks of perspective.
    • For example the deciduous foreground might have trees around 12-20" from soil height, while the mountaintop trees might be more like 4-8" tall from soil line (but the soil line would have to be elevated by the pot.
    • Either the slab would need some serious angle to it or the upper elevation area might have to be in a rock planting.
  • Mix of 2-4 species. At a minimum, 1 conifer for the higher elevation and 1 deciduous (thinking maple) for the lower elevation
    • Upper elevation
      • Some kind of pine - not sure what species do well and look good in the 4-8" tall range.
    • Middle elevation
      • A mix of the upper and lower
    • Lower elevation
      • Could be neat to do a few different japanese maple cultivars at the low elevation for some variation in fall colors
      • Or maybe a combination of maple + elm or maple + zelkova
Also, if anyone wants to join in on this or do something similar, please do! It could be a fun project to plan out this fall/winter and start up in the spring. I am stepping way out of my technical comfort zone here and could use some help or inspiration!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds fun.

I have been watching a lot of things like this..

Model Railroad stuff can help too. A lot of times they'll use smaller scale buildings and things to make them look farther away.

Yes, perspective will be everything.

I'd start with the "far" trees to be sure they will look good in their small states. Maybe those miniature mugos and spruce would work.

Then coming down and forward, the larger you can make them the better.

Then that information will dictate what size "container" you would need.

I imaging something like a half of one of those prebuilt shower stalls being utilized as a pot, built out with waterproof modeling techniques as light as possible.
Or build the lifting hooks into it if a crane will be used.

Make it a "living diorama".

I believe it will be more impressive than a "forest on A hill" bonsai.

What Creek and waterfall? Maybe the base can be a nice wooden thing that hides the water you collect In the drain hole, and pump up to the top with a pond pump. You could even build a system for your waterfall to auto water your trees behind the scenes.

I'd love to see some Larch in it if it makes sense for the modeled area.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve been “bouncing around” an internal idea for a mixed planting... I like the “elevation” aspect of your idea. Sounds fun to “compare notes”.. I’m “in”...

I will most likely do mine on a slab.. hmm or maybe a nurse planting..

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sounds fun.

I have been watching a lot of things like this..

Model Railroad stuff can help too. A lot of times they'll use smaller scale buildings and things to make them look farther away.

Yes, perspective will be everything.

I'd start with the "far" trees to be sure they will look good in their small states. Maybe those miniature mugos and spruce would work.

Then coming down and forward, the larger you can make them the better.

Then that information will dictate what size "container" you would need.

I imaging something like a half of one of those prebuilt shower stalls being utilized as a pot, built out with waterproof modeling techniques as light as possible.
Or build the lifting hooks into it if a crane will be used.

Make it a "living diorama".

I believe it will be more impressive than a "forest on A hill" bonsai.

What Creek and waterfall? Maybe the base can be a nice wooden thing that hides the water you collect In the drain hole, and pump up to the top with a pond pump. You could even build a system for your waterfall to auto water your trees behind the scenes.

I'd love to see some Larch in it if it makes sense for the modeled area.

Sorce

It’s funny you mention the waterfalls.. just about two weeks ago I was pondering that very same operation.

🤓

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just remembered the species mix will have to include trees that can all tolerate the same sun exposure. So pairing Japanese Maples with some kind of conifer would be a challenge, especially in my climate. Are there any pines/cypress or similar looking trees that do well with part shade?

Or the reverse - what are some decent deciduous with small leaves that do well in full sun. Elms...what else?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just remembered the species mix will have to include trees that can all tolerate the same sun exposure. So pairing Japanese Maples with some kind of conifer would be a challenge, especially in my climate. Are there any pines/cypress or similar looking trees that do well with part shade?

Or the reverse - what are some decent deciduous with small leaves that do well in full sun. Elms...what else?

Certain Taxus, possibly for the shade.

Cryptomeria can do well part shade...

Hmm.. I’m still thinking.

🤓

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks all for some good ideas on deciduous species. Amur maple or maybe Amur maple + chinese elm are definitely some good options.

Now what coniferous species can be trained into a convincing pine shape in about 5 inches? I guess I'll search around for examples of mame pines and cypress...maybe even some of the needle junipers could work.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m considering taxus/pomegranate/ginnala.. the leaves would compliment each other rather nicely, I believe..

Hawthorn/Rhodie/cryptomeria is an option for me as well.. but a less realistic one.. i think (?)

🤓

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amur maple has fairly large leaves no?
Might consider trident?

Pine-like? Maybe larch? Or a well-behaved black pine, I think those can get small needles? Else a squamata juniper?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Amur maple has fairly large leaves no?
Might consider trident?

Pine-like? Maybe larch? Or a well-behaved black pine, I think those can get small needles? Else a squamata juniper?
Hey! Amur is the smallest-leafed Maple that I can “hunt”... 🤣🤣

Yes.. it would definitely be awkward until “settled”....hmmm.. AND every year for a bit.. you are correct... damnit. ;)

I mostly like the idea of the taxus/pom “union”.. replace Amur in the first with Hawthorn, maybe?... (Trying to “build” with pieces i have...)

Then work out an idea involving amur, rhodie and “x” on the side?

🤓

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm considering starting mine from seed. And then can sell or trade away any extras. This site has sooo many options. sheffields

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Why? Why not find the pieces that will make the best result? It will be a decade in the making to grow together anyway. SPend a few months/a year to get the pieces.

I meant able to “hunt”.... 🤓 it’s a cost issue..

I have infinite access to woods, wetlands and prairies.. as well as infinite access to slabs (lake or river)..

I’ll still spend a tad more time in planning, I agree.

🤓

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you are familiar with this aren't you?

kimura.jpg

This might help as well:

Top Bottom