Brainstorming mountainside mixed forest

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Updates? Surfed the forums… I started a thread on this too .. and I thought about this and we’ll is this legit wood? Or a ceramic to look like wood.. could def build this for a massive forest planter

Attachments

• F7653FA9-52A5-46D3-8C95-253BAED2FF2E.jpeg
    F7653FA9-52A5-46D3-8C95-253BAED2FF2E.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 55

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am all for wood pots and don't know why they are not used more. They are cheap and easy to build. Wood durability varies according to wood but they can last a surprisingly long time. I have wood grow boxes that are many many year old. My oldest grow box is older than many members here.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am all for wood pots and don't know why they are not used more. They are cheap and easy to build. Wood durability varies according to wood but they can last a surprisingly long time. I have wood grow boxes that are many many year old. My oldest grow box is older than many members here.
Yeah I think I’m gonna make a wood forest planter )unless a financial miracle happens / find one before spring) , Nicely made, strong , ample drainage, long term success and handles to grab. Then one day if a big forest planted comes along I’ll be able to use it. Pretty sure it’s better to do group plantings in more depth unless you’re Ryan Neil or experienced to know what the right threshold of root needs are..

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Using a large wooden planter is actually a great idea for the first prototype of this. Thanks!

My first attempts at growing trees on rocks was a massive failure, but I think it was because the bare-root seedlings I got were not at all healthy. Even a few that I put into grow pots didn't make it.
Stay tuned next spring for attempt #2 (and probably 3, 4, 5).

D

Deleted member 38190

How do you create a new thread

D

Deleted member 38190

I don't know how to

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Chinese Elm I also just PMed you the same instructions.
The bell or letter icon at the top right should show alerts for any activity you might be involved in.

Keep asking, and we'll have you up and running in no time.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm, I might even make a wooden box and hide the wood using jagged rock-like pieces of insulation foam colored gray. Sounds like a fun winter project.
Wood is beautiful.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm, I might even make a wooden box and hide the wood using jagged rock-like pieces of insulation foam colored gray. Sounds like a fun winter project.
A wooden frame that fits neatly around a cement slab/pot would achieve the desired wood look, but still stand up well.
If you do like the rock idea, cement, maybe with some color added would be nice way to do it.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While quite different, "somewhere here," probably in a thread about penjing, there's a video of a young Vietnamese (IIRC) man building a fountain/planter out of foam chunks & concrete. I think he used pieces of heavy, stiff wire to pin the parts together, then poured concrete slurry over it by the cupful. Wasn't designed to hold heavy material or be moved much -- but might be an idea for custom "rock" features or surfacing.

(Glad you made me remember -- my winter maybe just got more fun, too!)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Above is mountainside box 1. And here is the mountainside box 2. Two different approaches to the mountain or hillside look. We’ll see which looks better when planted.
0167A4C5-B1EB-4027-93CA-AC3CEAB05975.jpeg

69537FEB-6C82-4939-AADF-07E72FC18A6B.jpeg
those little internal wood blocks are my attempt to make little planting zones so all of the soil doesn’t wash off the hill side. I think if I make a second version of this one, I’ll make the outer walls lower. We shall see how it functions first!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see the second one working out better in terms of ease of maintenance- simplicity usually wins over all else- but that first one is going to be awesome. I like the stepped slant. Will lend itself quite naturally to a mountainscape.

Top Bottom