Branch bender contraptions.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can someone tell me how this is used:
3315-18_schraubzwinge_spezial_gruesse_2__bonsai.jpg

There are different bending equipment/devices/tools on that webshop, If someone knows or can advise which one's are the best, I like this one the most (and are the cheapest):
3310.jpg

They also have long devices which can lever/hook/bend branches:
3313_ast-biegehilfe_bonsai.jpg

And this one, which looks more like something medical for nose operations.:
3313a_ast-biegehilfe_bonsai.jpg

By the way, if you live in Europe, I think this webshop is really good quality and price (http://www.bonsai.de)

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh, they also have this device (it's to prevent wire cuts, easy quick bending):
magic-e-2_magic-e_bonsai_magic-e_bonsai.jpg

Experiences?

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
We can describe how to use each of these. BUT it would be easier if you would tell use the species of tree and size of the trunk/branch that you wish to bend. pictures would help.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess one part of the jaw goes on the branch to bend and the other one on a immobile anchorage point (like the branch and the trunk or the branch or the edge of the pot) and then you turn the infinite screw step by step, something like that...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We can describe how to use each of these. BUT it would be easier if you would tell use the species of tree and size of the trunk/branch that you wish to bend. pictures would help.
I want to bend everything, wuhaha. I want to be able to bend bigger branches and trunks the ones I cannot bend with wire.

Reaction score
My own personal advice would be to not spend the money on them... sorry.

Reasoning behind me saying so is that the results one usually gets from them are nothing one cannot achieve through the use of just using wire.

I do heavy bending on pretty much a daily basis... check out some of my thread posts, would be more than willing to assist an any bending project you may have.

My experience with these is that they usually have not so good results and aren't needed.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I will try the cheap bender and the bend-clips. The expensive one doesn't look stable and doing more harm I think (the hooks look too sharp / need to protect the bark), the cheap one is good enough to bend something thick and only costs 10 euro's. I understand wire gives you more control but it's more work and higher cost (apply wire and throw/cut wire away). Sometimes I just need a small bend in something thick, don't want to waste a (double/triple) thick wire on that.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My own personal advice would be to not spend the money on them... sorry.

Reasoning behind me saying so is that the results one usually gets from them are nothing one cannot achieve through the use of just using wire.

I do heavy bending on pretty much a daily basis... check out some of my thread posts, would be more than willing to assist an any bending project you may have.

My experience with these is that they usually have not so good results and aren't needed.

ill second that - it seems much easier to snap a branch with something like those than wiring. (in my exp anyway)

i will use guy wires but again - its using the tactfile feedback of pulling/touching the branch to avoid being too aggressive

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ill second that - it seems much easier to snap a branch with something like those than wiring. (in my exp anyway) i will use guy wires but again - its using the tactfile feedback of pulling/touching the branch to avoid being too aggressive
Hmmz, maybe I am both lazy and cheap :p

Reaction score
I think I will try the cheap bender and the bend-clips. The expensive one doesn't look stable and doing more harm I think (the hooks look too sharp / need to protect the bark), the cheap one is good enough to bend something thick and only costs 10 euro's. I understand wire gives you more control but it's more work and higher cost (apply wire and throw/cut wire away). Sometimes I just need a small bend in something thick, don't want to waste a (double/triple) thick wire on that.
You will find that the cheap ones, the one's in red, with the padding dig in and mash the bark, leaving scars that will remain for a long time, if not indefinitely. Been down this road before... some times lessons though do have to be learned individually.

If one is worried about cost of wire, why not wrap with raffia, set up a guy wire and bend. As mentioned, I have numerous threads showing how to go about it... and would be more than willing to assist.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You will find that the cheap ones, the one's in red, with the padding dig in and mash the bark, leaving scars that will remain for a long time, if not indefinitely. Been down this road before... some times lessons though do have to be learned individually.If one is worried about cost of wire, why not wrap with raffia, set up a guy wire and bend. As mentioned, I have numerous threads showing how to go about it... and would be more than willing to assist.
You mean raffia around the bark where you apply the guy-wire and pull it down? You have a link from an example?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That second bending jack image is worthless.

The first image shows jacks that are meant to bring two items together, usually guy wires that are anchored to branches and or a support bar. Look at this example:
http://bonsaitonight.com/2009/09/06/big-bend/

The last two are levers, useful in conjunction with attaching a big branch to a supporting bar, but you have to be careful and pay closer attention when using a lever, because it's easy to apply too much force and break the branch.

None of these are really necessary until you're moving branches that are more than 2" thick over a very short length.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't want to waste a (double/triple) thick wire on that.

You have to support the outside of the bend anyway!

And......

If you use it twice......your tree are going to start looking the same!

Hmmz, maybe I am both lazy and cheap

Find some stuff in a junk drawer/garage/dumpster and do it for free!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can someone tell me how this is used:

They have nothing to do with Bonsai but they can be useful in a properly planned sex dungeon :rolleyes: Honest though save your cash, you can do very good bends without any of them. If you find a need for the first example go with trigger clamps from most and big box store, hella lot less expensive. The others "could" be used but you are far better just using your hands and in some cases another person to help.

Grimmy

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the input guys, the guy wires look alot cleaner, neat trick with the hole in the tubing (maybe i will try to guy-string it or use some other non-expensive wire). I will forgo the contraptions for now untill i meet someone who has a good bending device wich can be shown to me how it works :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can also use a piece (or pieces) of rebar to gain leverage. Sometimes it's a temporary thing: tie the branch to a piece of rebar, use the rebar as leverage to do the bend, guy wire the branch to hold, remove rebar. Sometimes the rebar stays attached until the bend "takes".

Top Bottom