Branch Bender-Super Sized

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Make a large, adjustable branch/trunk bender with a 2 foot section of 1-5/8″ x 13/64″ Unistrut (aka Superstrut), two long 1/2″ bolts or threaded rod, four 1/2″ washers, four 1/2″ nuts and 1/2″ id automotive heater hose. You can also use this tool to bend, shape and straighten very large diameter wire. This is the same piece of Unistrut that I use for my wire straightener.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can you post a picture or description of how you actually bend with it?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh you use the studs to torque the branch. Good idea. Thanks!

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The bending method is actually an old idea in the world of bonsai. I just want to share my less expensive solutions and ideas as an alternative to more costly products.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bending method is actually an old idea in the world of bonsai. I just want to share my less expensive solutions and ideas as an alternative to more costly products.
Hm.. I bought a 45cm / 1 1/2ft branch bender for some 9 euro's (~ 9dollars) last winter. Will this be cheaper?

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Leatherback- $7.58 US for the Unistrut at a local big box store. Miscellaneous hardware in my garage. Does your bender also straighten used wire pieces? Just trying to push the box and think out of the envelope ;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does your bender also straighten used wire pieces? Just trying to push the box and think out of the envelope
Nah; If used, I do not straighten them really. Just pull them along the bench and ready to go.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very cool Sansui! It looks a lot like a F-tool we use in trauma/orthopedic surgeries.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Great Idea. We use strut all the time at work. Plus, being an electrician, the idea of a “wire straightener” is funny, thats the kind of thing that doesnt actually exist you send the apprentice to find as hazing 😂😂

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Great Idea. We use strut all the time at work. Plus, being an electrician, the idea of a “wire straightener” is funny, thats the kind of thing that doesnt actually exist you send the apprentice to find as hazing 😂😂
thats the kind of thing that doesnt actually exist you send the apprentice to find as hazing 😂😂: According to your diagnosis of the treatment of an apprentice. You never know, when you send someone for something like that what you might get back and it might not be you that is laughing. When I was in the basic training in the army I was sent for a bucket of steam, I came bacl with a bucket of steam. My sargent was baffled. I found a way.

Top Bottom