Branch development suggestions

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The fool needs some help. Have this olive, and need some input on branch development. I have a few branches left.
1) would you work with what I have, remove some, cut backs some?
2) let just grow out for a year or two?
3 ) cut back all the branches ( wait till spring?), and start the branch development from scratch?
4 ) ??????
Took a few photos, , front ( bad cut site) back, branch close up
Really struggling with branch selection vs longer term branch development over time.
9F6C720B-EF22-461E-999D-7A96804D8102.jpeg2AAB5BB1-CCEF-4582-AC6B-ED70B2408E97.jpeg7761814C-FB0A-4A87-926F-DBEC18F5115D.jpeg

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Bobby... based on a quick look at the thread .... would you be comfortable cutting this back to a 4-6 inch stump and letting it grow out? Still need to read the entire thread ...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Myself, I would probably let it grow a year or two. But I have never raised an olive. See what guidance the thread linked by Bobby Lane suggests.

Generally, for most deciduous trees, broadleaf evergreens, whatever, if you don't have many branches and don't know what to do, that is a sign to leave it alone a couple years and let it get bushy. In time you will have more branches, more branches means more options, and likely better options.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see you are in San Diego, by any chance are you a member of the San Diego Bonsai Club?
If not, I might suggest looking into it. Back in the 90's I was a member (how I got started in Bonsai), the wealth of knowledge/experience in the club was amazing, and everyone was willing to help/share what they know. It looks like they still meet in the same place "Casa del Prado building in Balboa Park on the second Sunday of each month at 10:30AM".
I don't know if they still do it, but they used to maintain the collection at the Wild Animal Park (called Safari Park now?) every couple of months. If they still do, I would encourage participating, talk about an amazing opportunity for Bonsai novices!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, before I even start, I’ll post a pic of my Olive I took to the Nationals last week:

BE748FB7-C57F-47A3-A867-5F3B9E979E51.jpeg

I’m posting this so that you will know that I DO know what I’m talking about. Ok?

First of all: all that wire you have on your tree isn’t doing anything. You really can’t bend olive branches that big. At least, not with that size wire. Look at the branches you’ve wired. They’re all straight.

When olive branches get as thick as a pencil, they’re too thick to wire. The stuff that wire works on is the green wood. Where the leaves are attached. That, you can bend and put curves on. Heavy branches with grey bark? Fuggetaboutit!

Olives develop quickly. They backbud really well they grow fast. In fact, they’re one of the easiest trees to develop! Just work the branches when they’re young. Green.

So. You have to decide how tall you want your tree to be. And chop it a couple inches shorter than that.

Personally, I don’t see anything I like in the tall branches you have wired. I would cut those off a couple of inches above where you started wiring, and let the trunk start completely over popping buds off the trunk. Let the new shoots extend to about 6 inches, and wire them. Let them extend another 6 or 8 inches, remove the wire and cut back. Repeat. Over and over. In 3 years, you have a show tree.

But that’s me.

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Adair...thanks for the photo and opinion. And thanks for addressing the question. Will give this some thought, but a significant pruning seems to be in this trees future.

Top Bottom