Branch Thickening and Styling Advice on Common Privet

maxajax

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello! Im from Costa Rica, just wanted to ask you guys from some advice. Im fairly new to bonsai I've cared for some bonsai in training, but this is gonna be the first one i start from a stump. Endless summer here, tropical temperatures 70-80F year round, we've just finished the rainy season and full sunny days and higher temps are coming.
So its a Common Privet stump I acquired at my local nursery, i liked the trunk beacause it has some big split in the middle and i like the small curves and taper it has. I repotted when I bought it to a larger training pot. I wired it (this is my first time wiring, so forgive my multiple errors) just to give some position to the future branches. Let the tree rest wich it did kinda quickly i think because in less than a week it started back budding on the branches, and on the trunk. So here's my initial plan with this tree:
IMG_2889.jpg

Heres another view:

IMG_2891.jpg

So one question is what would u guys do with the stump branch, would u cut it and leave the stump use it as a first branch? or make it a secondary trunk? or any other ideas...
heres a closer look:
IMG_2893.jpg

and then I want to thicken the branches Im going to select, I've read you should leave the branch elongate so that it will thicken, how long would you leave it? what would u do with the buds growing from the primary branches, should I leave them there or cut them if I want the branch to thicken.

IMG_2896.jpg
Also this branch comes kinda like a formward facing angle from the trunk, would this be acceptable?

IMG_2902.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg
So any help or suggestions are more than welcome
Thank you guys very much!

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would pump it with fertilizer and leave it untouched for about a year. Do not remove the buds. Leaves are your solar panels. The more solar panels you have, the more growth your gonna get. Thickening and length. Come back in a year and start selecting branches to keep. When you cut back then, you should have more buds popping everywhere.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with previous comment. And, The stump branch could be a feature if you give it some time, maybe it will grow on you.

Top Bottom