Branch/trunk benders help please

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use the same jack as Riversedge showed. I have a medium sized one.

Here’s how to use rebar:

62E6B4A4-D6AD-49CA-8C06-A991104F420F.jpeg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Interesting and helpful. Thanks Adair. Can I assume that when one is trying to bend a branch/trunk, that you would bend it a little beyond where you want it to be to insure that it ends up in the right position when all restraints are released? Also, when bending let's say a 1/4" branch on a pine, how long should one have to leave restraints on before it holds the bend (always watching for wire biting into bark of course)? I realize that trees will vary, so just a general idea would be fine. Does it make a difference WHEN one does the wiring? Thanks

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting and helpful. Thanks Adair. Can I assume that when one is trying to bend a branch/trunk, that you would bend it a little beyond where you want it to be to insure that it ends up in the right position when all restraints are released? Also, when bending let's say a 1/4" branch on a pine, how long should one have to leave restraints on before it holds the bend (always watching for wire biting into bark of course)? I realize that trees will vary, so just a general idea would be fine. Does it make a difference WHEN one does the wiring? Thanks
I love quoting" it depends" that way everyone thinks it is someone else answering.
The age of the tree affects the growth pattern. The timing of wiring makes a difference as well!
For example a 1/4 inch branch on a young developing pine may need the wire removed in a few weeks due to rapid growth if also applied just before or during the growing season. On an older tree, with lots of branching so even distribution of energy over lots of area, the wire may stay on for a year or more. For some species the branch may require rewiring several times before the branch sets over a period of years.
Wiring in the late fall early winter ( conifers ) will take longer to set than wiring after decandling in June or July!
For young trees i check them in 3-4 weeks, then each week after that! For older more mature trees i check the wiring after a few months. A good habit to get in to is a general check for several conditions on a weekly basis! Wiring, Pests, Insects, fungal issues, root exposure, rotating trees, scar conditions , developmental issues such as inverse taper, bar branching, ferts etc. I find it easier to spend a bit of time checking overall, rather than trying to remember individual checks. maybe that is due to the number of trees i deal with, but i think it is a good approach.
Just get in the habit of maintaining awareness of the important care routines.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for wading in on pretty dumb questions Frank. What was I thinkin?:confused:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I wire using copper, I don’t have to “overbend”, it will hold its position where I want it. Aluminum doesn’t hold as well.

Remember that wiring and styling is kind of like mowing the lawn. It looks great as soon as you’re finished, but after a while, it’s time to do it again! Especially in the early stages of development.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I just today received my order of copper wire from Adams/McKinney Bonsai. I am looking forward to trying it on this older Mugo that I recently purchased. Appreciate the input from all of you! Peter

Top Bottom