Brand new, any advice would be great

TimB

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was chatting about some bits the other months and all of a sudden I’ve got a Bonsai for my birthday. I’ve got a book, a half grown tree, fertiliser and a set of cutters however I’ve got no idea what I’m doing despite having a good read of the book I’ve been given.

If I post up some pictures could anyone advise if / what I should be trimming or should I just be leaving it and letting it grow for autumn and winter?

Any advice offered would be of great value to this amateur tree-man

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I’ve got a book, a half grown tree, fertiliser and a set of cutters however I’ve got no idea what I’m doing despite having a good read of the book I’ve been given.

Something about that reminds me of what it is to be new!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Please take the time and put your location in your profile page, that way we can give you good advice for your climate. Welcome, and please do post pictures. Take several all the way around the tree, and straight on at pot level please.

TimB

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was chatting about some bits the other months and all of a sudden I’ve got a Bonsai for my birthday. I’ve got a book, a half grown tree, fertiliser and a set of cutters however I’ve got no idea what I’m doing despite having a good read of the book I’ve been given.

If I post up some pictures could anyone advise if / what I should be trimming or should I just be leaving it and letting it grow for autumn and winter?

Any advice offered would be of great value to this amateur tree-man

Hi all, thanks for the kind response(s)! Lesson 1 will definitely be to post from my laptop in future!

I’ve got some pictures below, for a bit of background - I live in Salisbury, United Kingdom. We’re just about to go into Autumn here.

If the images aren’t the right angle then please let me know!

973B6A0D-B2E3-4BA7-9A50-83D6C0A92F84.jpeg34AF3D7F-A5ED-4D6D-B478-A1816E51610B.jpeg63A51883-364B-4BCD-8BEF-2D61221AA57E.jpeg7FE38492-5B9F-4720-BA6B-CFAB93B2E2BE.jpeg0E0A384C-6AA9-4A20-A634-0D8E07312F61.jpeg

02CDA6D8-4193-4E06-9B35-FBDBFE3FCDD9.jpeg

Thanks, Mr A Matuer

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hear the jungle cries and stomping of feet, traveller? This signifies your arrival to the Tiny Forest. Immerse yourself in the shared knowledge/experience that abounds here. Just watch your pockets ‘round the Woody Dwarves... they’re all trained in “the school of seven bells”

Everyone else beat me to any information of “substance”..

So I’m simply/fluffily here to introduce myself.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like it is in pretty water retentive soil. So be careful on watering it too much. You can put a wooden skewer into the soil about halfway from the trunk to the pot, pull it out and check every day. When it begins to dry, then it's time to water again. If your weather is cool, it may not even be every day or every other day. Water when it needs it. I would suggest allowing it to continue to grow freely until it drops it's leaves for the season. You can trim it for shape then or wait till late winter before the buds swell. In the spring I would suggest repotting into a bonsai soil, you'll have all winter to research that! Cutting now can spur new growth that may not have time to harden off before winter, so it's best to let it grow and gain strength at this point in the year. Looks like an elm, and a pretty decent plant to start with. You may want to check with people in your area how they overwinter their trees, so you can keep this alive over the season. Trees need dormant time, unless they are tropicals or subs. So you'll need to have a place with some wind protection at least where it isn't in the sun.

Top Bottom