Brand new ginseng ficus branch broken

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got my first bonsai last week, a needle/rock juniper and it's sent me down a path of "where has this been all my life." Ordered a Ginseng grafted ficus, I'm all happy and then I open the box and a branch is broken. Is there any possible way to mend/heal this?

Attachments

• PXL_20201207_222948263.jpg
    PXL_20201207_222948263.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20201207_222942176.jpg
    PXL_20201207_222942176.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That'll happen with shipped trees sometimes. You got two options, you can contact the seller and see if they will compensate you somehow, or you can go ahead and finish taking off that branch. I don't think you're going to do much healing of the break, and even if you don't will always be a knobby looking spot.

If you take it off and get the tree through winter, you should easily be able to grow another branch In it's place to a similar size over the growing season.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some breaks you can mend... and even this one you "might" be able to heal. But it would take a couple of years to know for certain, and in the interim it would be very weak and any small bump might re-break it. It is better to remove it now. I like @Michael P 's suggestion that you pot it up as a cutting.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some breaks you can mend... and even this one you "might" be able to heal. But it would take a couple of years to know for certain, and in the interim it would be very weak and any small bump might re-break it. It is better to remove it now. I like @Michael P 's suggestion that you pot it up as a cutting.
I mended it, seems ok. I have a full spectrum uv light, red and blue light. Any suggestions on light during the winter? My windows get sun but I thought tropical plants needed more? Thank u so much.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I mended it, seems ok. I have a full spectrum uv light, red and blue light. Any suggestions on light during the winter? My windows get sun but I thought tropical plants needed more? Thank u so much.
They are pretty adaptable to a range of conditions, including filtered light or partial shade. In full light the foliage will be denser. The important thing is consistency. Ficus will often drop leaves when they experience a dramatic change in lighting.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They are pretty adaptable to a range of conditions, including filtered light or partial shade. In full light the foliage will be denser. The important thing is consistency. Ficus will often drop leaves when they experience a dramatic change in lighting.
Yes a few have dropped off but nothing crazy. Noticing a white powdery residue on leaves, assuming it's from tap water. Any suggestions? Trying to collect rain water but it's been dry (were getting a foot of snow today tho) what about boiling the water? Or bottled?

Top Bottom