brand new to Bonsai using Balsam fir saplings any advice

Beebuds

Seed
Reaction score
Just got laid off and want to enjoy this time off with trying out Bonsai. I have a pair of two closely connected Balsam fir saplings that I dug up on my property. is it a good tree to start with just so I can learn the basics?

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If nothing else, you’ll learn something from them!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Fir trees, genus Abies are used for bonsai, but not as commonly as spruce, Picea. There are no "big issues" against fir trees. Abies balsamea, the balsam fir, is a cool climate tree, it is only native to the northern tier of states in the USA and most of Canada. It can be tricky getting through very hot summers. But if balsam fir seedlings are native to your local area, then your summers are cool enough. The bark of the trunks tends to remain smooth until the tree has significant age, but otherwise they are fine for bonsai. Give it a go.

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
Fir trees, genus Abies are used for bonsai, but not as commonly as spruce, Picea. There are no "big issues" against fir trees. Abies balsamea, the balsam fir, is a cool climate tree, it is only native to the northern tier of states in the USA and most of Canada. It can be tricky getting through very hot summers. But if balsam fir seedlings are native to your local area, then your summers are cool enough. The bark of the trunks tends to remain smooth until the tree has significant age, but otherwise they are fine for bonsai. Give it a go.
really?! Il love this tree but i'm from europe

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
TF!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
really?! Il love this tree but i'm from europe
The balsam fir is sometimes used in forestry projects and more often for Christmas tree farms. You might find it in EU if you search christmas tree farms. It is a cool weather tree, more likely happiest in the Alps or northeast of Moscow. It will simply fail to thrive in coastal mediterranean climates.

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
Ok understand, i cannot Care a lot if species which interest me =(
But i think we Always want something new and different from our common trees

Top Bottom