Brand New

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. I live in the Hartford area of Connecticut
I'm sorry.
I worked there for a while. Just after Hurricane Sandy.
I found a bonsai place in Manchester. Connecticut Bonsai Gardens or something like that. He had some cool little trees when I stopped and the owner is a nice little oriental man.
Vic or Vin was his name.
You are also fairly close to New England Bonsai in Massachusetts.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Connecticut is a great location because you can keep a little bit of everything. Depending on your yard, you can also consider a cheap greenhouse to protect some of your tender trees during the winter.

For year-round trees to bring indoors in the winter, don't make the mistake of trying to overwinter a tree that needs a cold season. Only consider trees that you would have to protect from the winter, regardless. Top of the list would be hardy, adaptable trees like Chinese elms or easy tropicals like Ficus. More advanced, but definitely rewarding, is an evergreen azalea. Once established they can be quite hardy.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you would like quick simple start and answer, go buy a Chinese elm. Most will be what is called "mallsai" (look that up), which are essential not well designed, mass made trees but they do their purpose well, they are hardy, don't die easily and teach you loads. Certainly when starting out and not knowing anything. Don't pay too much for it, don't wanna make an investment in to something you've not much knowledge on. Also, this may be a fad and maybe you'll interest in 2 monthes.

Get a feel for things :). (Just not people, in public. Apparently that kinda thing is "frowned upon", and they no longer let me in the shopping centre).

Zack

Seedling
Reaction score
So open to suggestions. There is a bonsai store close to me which is nice. Should I buy a pre bonsai or is it better to buy like a nursery plant and use techniques to make it bonsai

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I buy

If you are 24, and have but one arm...

Dig an elm!

If you do buy something....know where it came from, know how it was wintered.

If you can't provide the same care, it might not be worth it.

Lotta Chinese Elms are greenhoused.

Unless you are spending $200 you'll get better play material at a Reggie nursery.

But don't spend $, less it's on a shovel.

How bout soil?

Spring is here or coming.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I found in many bonsai books I own...that many almost get you there. But I wasn't quite grasping specific things. Until I got this book. Her descriptions helped me grasp what others repeated.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Its-Science-History-Philosophy/dp/0881923893/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488112641&sr=1-2&refinements=p_27:Deborah+R.+Koreshoff
Thanks for that recommendation...
It's on its way to my door....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for that recommendation...
It's on its way to my door....

You're welcome. Trust me...it's my go to that I pull and refresh. It's on my nightstand currently. And I'm a good 3 years in.

The late Jim told me about it. Told me that many love Naka's books. But those were compiled of his noted. Where Koreshoff's was intentionally written for the purpose of giving guidance. A newbie would find Koreshoff's easier to grasp. Mind you I've a library of bonsai books because...I just love books. But by far...hers is much better written with diagrams. Where the majority of books had me go...ummmm. With hers I was like...Ooooh!

It's a good book...and almost like a coffee table book as well. There was one other that he swore every bonsai person should have. Then,told me that a second version was being compiled and for me to hold off and wait for it. I also have that book.

I don't feel it's one you must rush out and buy...but put in your mental vault to add at some point.

http://www.stonelantern.com/Principles_of_Bonsai_Tree_Design_p/b1prin.htm

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you would like quick simple start and answer, go buy a Chinese elm. Most will be what is called "mallsai" (look that up), which are essential not well designed, mass made trees but they do their purpose well, they are hardy, don't die easily and teach you loads. Certainly when starting out and not knowing anything. Don't pay too much for it, don't wanna make an investment in to something you've not much knowledge on. Also, this may be a fad and maybe you'll interest in 2 monthes.

Get a feel for things :). (Just not people, in public. Apparently that kinda thing is "frowned upon", and they no longer let me in the shopping centre).
Agree....get started and get the feel of what you're getting into with bonsai....and see if your interest remains. At the same time, don't overwhelm yourself and your budget with buying to many tools and accessories...bonsai pots come much, much later. Also, your first tree...don't think like it has to be some world-class looking bonsai tree after you've had it awhile....just use the early trees to learn from. Your objective is learning more about tree care and health. You should be able to step back after a year and think...Cool, it's still alive.

Top Bottom