brazilian pepper aka christmas berry and other stuff

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
two years ago I traded away my only brazilian pepper bonsai and have been without one since. those familiar with schinus terebinthifolius know they are a good bonsai subject. besides being readily available and quick to adapt to pot culture, older trees have rugged, grooved bark and interesting shapes. those found growing in poor soil buffeted by constant wind are often stunted with nice movement. natural deadwood and hollows created by rot or insects are common. in the fall, clusters of tiny white flowers form at branch tips morphing into bright red berries in time for the holidays.

sharing the results of a recent collecting trip. pic #1 trees soaking. pics #2-5 views of two brazilian pepper.

DSC01646.jpgDSC01652.jpgDSC01653.jpg DSC01659.jpgDSC01660.jpg

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
more brazilian pepper aka christmas berry and other stuff

more christmas berry

DSC01685.jpgDSC01686.jpg DSC01692.jpgDSC01691.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01693.jpg
    DSC01693.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 23

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
other stuff

two passion fruit vines passiflora edulis and a potentially nice bunjin strawberry quava

best wishes, sam

vine #1
DSC01649.jpg DSC01651.jpg

strawberry guava
DSC01711.jpg

vine #2

Attachments

• DSC01679.jpg
    DSC01679.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01680.jpg
    DSC01680.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 20

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sam,

I hope you don't live in Florida because if I recall correctly, it is illegal to buy/sell, plant and transport the Brazilian Pepper. The state is finding it impossible to control this highly invasive species, and it is quickly destroying large areas of native flora. Unless you live in the plant's natural range, I would be very concerned with allowing these plants to fruit and potentially ruining your local ecosystem. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but this plant is bad news.

Stan

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
hi stan

here, christmas berry is regarded as invasive but not regulated anywhere to the degree it is in florida. it has been in the hawaii for more than 100 years and while distributed throughout the islands it is not regarded as being out of control.

best wishes, sam

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would seem to me that an invasive plant in a locale would actually be encouraged to be collected and kept by a Bonsai enthusiast, as it would be removed from the ecosystem and kept in a way that it would have very little chance of getting out of hand or spreading at all. Most Bonsai are kept out of reach from birds, and well tended or they die. That would rule out most chance for a seed to be ingested and deposited by a bird and the area where its kept would be unlike the wild where it could propagate and spread in the natural way.

ed

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
such is the case with lantana which is highly invasive on our island and wild olive which is spreading rapidly and may soon be out of control. landowners/government have no problem with granting bonsai collectors permission to take as many as they can carry.

best wishes, sam

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
such is the case with lantana which is highly invasive on our island and wild olive which is spreading rapidly and may soon be out of control. landowners/government have no problem with granting bonsai collectors permission to take as many as they can carry.

best wishes, sam

Makes sense to me!

ed

Top Bottom