Brazilian Pepper Tree

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut down this Brazilian Pepper tree in my backyard because it was hanging over into the neighbors yard and parts of it had died off. The stump that was left started throwing some really good suckers so I thought I might cut a few out and see if I could get them to root.
The Source:
20180107_144700-2268x3024.jpg
The Victim:
20180107_143427-3024x2268.jpg
Close Up: about 1.5 inches across
20180107_143412-3024x2268.jpg
Rooting Powder:
20180107_144918-2268x3024.jpg
Finished Job:
20180107_144554-3024x2268.jpg
Questions:
Should I defoliate?
Do you have any suggestions?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe Future Raft:
20180107_152600-2268x3024.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Questions:
Should I defoliate?
no
Photosynthesis is what drives growing roots
Do you have any suggestions?
yes
Keep it out of direct sun.
Build a humidity tent around it so it doesn't desiccate before having grown enough new roots.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks I appreciate it! Do you have any experience with Pepper trees?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a xanthoxylem pipieritum (Japanese pepper tree) bonsai which being called a 'pepper' is about all it has in common with your schinus terebinthifolius.

My responses are based on general plant physiological principles:
An accumulation of auxin and photosynthate at the base of the stem is necessary for the process of cambium cell de-differentiation and differentiation into root cell initials. A continued supply of both is required to then grow roots, which basically means photosynthesis needs to be on-going. Gas exchange through the leaf stomata is required to take in carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, but means water will be drawn out into air that has a relative humidity less than 100% - more so, the drier the air. Yadda, yadda, yadda - you've seen what happens when you forget to water.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a xanthoxylem pipieritum (Japanese pepper tree) bonsai which being called a 'pepper' is about all it has in common with your schinus terebinthifolius.

My responses are based on general plant physiological principles:
An accumulation of auxin and photosynthate at the base of the stem is necessary for the process of cambium cell de-differentiation and differentiation into root cell initials. A continued supply of both is required to then grow roots, which basically means photosynthesis needs to be on-going. Gas exchange through the leaf stomata is required to take in carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, but means water will be drawn out into air that has a relative humidity less than 100% - more so, the drier the air. Yadda, yadda, yadda - you've seen what happens when you forget to water.

I hope my response did not offend! My hope was to pick your brain some more about general Brazilian Pepper care and how they respond to bonsai practices.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope my response did not offend! My hope was to pick your brain some more about general Brazilian Pepper care and how they respond to bonsai practices.
No offense taken. Nothing even remotely offensive was said. I just know nothing specifically about your tree.

I have something in the neighborhood of 30 different species of trees in my collection. I continue to approach them all from this 'general principles' perspective to figure out how to treat them by noting how and when they respond. I feel well served by a perspective that they all are just variations on a common theme - some root more easily, some grow more vigorously, some don't break bud after the summer solstice, etc. Cork oaks (quercus suber) are about as close as I get to tropicals (not that there is anything wrong with them, I am just out of space!).

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update:
I was able to get three of the pepper trees to grow. They are very healthy right now. They really have a very distinct holly appearance with the leaves being thick and stiff. Much more so than the large tree I had growing in the yard....maybe juvenile foliage? I will be repotting one in bonsai soil to see how it responds.

20190210_191115.jpg
20190210_191158.jpg

Top Bottom