Brazilian Rain Tree Advice

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Greetings everyone, I am in need of some advice if possible. I purchased this beautiful rain tree last year from Wigerts and I let it just grow for the most part with minimal shoot removal. As you can see, it needs some limbs removed to give it a more defined shape versus the wild growth. I have an idea but I'd like to hear what you all think as well to see if I'm on the right track. I think it offers a couple good possible styles since I believe the tree must naturally assist rather than fighting the artist.

There are three views in the pictures, a full overall view and two closer pictures of the trunk and limbs.

As always, I appreciate your comments.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 100

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That sharp bend in the trunk is troublesome. But some bending would help. I have a bender on mine right now to add some movement. As for design I am partial to informal upright for BRTs. Will be interesting to see what others have to say.

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Greetings everyone, I am in need of some advice if possible. I purchased this beautiful rain tree last year from Wigerts and I let it just grow for the most part with minimal shoot removal. As you can see, it needs some limbs removed to give it a more defined shape versus the wild growth. I have an idea but I'd like to hear what you all think as well to see if I'm on the right track. I think it offers a couple good possible styles since I believe the tree must naturally assist rather than fighting the artist.

There are three views in the pictures, a full overall view and two closer pictures of the trunk and limbs.

As always, I appreciate your comments.

Jim
Nice raintree, but it needs some refining. I'll let the experts out there give you advice on what branches to remove. I wouldn't wait too long before making a decision because once the branches thicken up they're almost impossible to bend. Good luck.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It depends on what you see in 10 years for this tree.
You can either make a broom/flat-top in the shohin scale right now.
Or, you can continue to let the tree grow freely and thicken the trunk.

My feeling is to continue letting this tree grow freely.
A nice shohin has a fat trunk and lots of taper.

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the comment. I don't see it being a shohin at this time, however, a future air layer may be in the works to do that since I love shohin bonsai. I plan on letting it grow out a bit for size but like Mr. Sommers mentioned, I'd rather not waste too much energy on limbs that do not fit into the long term plan.

Flattop is one styles I've considered as well as a couple others. I just wanted to see what some of the masters out there would do if it were sitting in front of them. Thank you again.

Jim

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I know a lot of people on here hate blunt honesty but most masters would just skip past this tree if they saw it. I would let it grow out for at least 3 years and hopefully if you treat it well during that time you well start to get some ribbing in the trunk.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree to let this grow, and study it for direction as it does. I think you can use that hard bend as part of the design with maybe a slight angle change. You could also think about attempting a twin trunk design. I was able to force a bud to pop on mine low on the base, and the tree (which is similar to yours) now has added weight to the sillhouette with the second trunk.

Top Bottom