Brazilian Rain Tree -aphids ?

bonsaiboyphx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have a Brazilian Raintree. I Am keeping it indoors for the winter (Zone 9b).

Some of the leaves, especially the new growth, is curling up on itself. And I can see tiny specks/flakes in the photo (but not really with the naked eye). Also, some of the leaves has a sticky/shiny substance. This would be aphids right? Also, have some areas where the leaves are going yellow and falling off (seems fairly normal for this species)

I've sprayed several times with homemade neem oil, but whatever it is they keep coming back, even though the tree is indoors.

Getting some Bonide systemic and Bayer 3-1 spray. These are safe for BRT right?

Just got into bonsai about a year ago, and haven't really had much problems with pest until now.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 38

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
You should be able to see aphids with the naked eye. Look under leaves and stem/leaf junctions. Could be mites of some sort too. With these two potential pests neem and hort soap should do it.

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The BRT will take those bonide and bayer not sure if it is bad enough for that. My leaves do that sometimes when it is dry inside. I have a humidifier running next to the brt for that reason. Not sure about the white substance tho. Yellow leave are normal when inside for the most part.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Others will have different opinions, we all have them. Systemics are like nuking the soil. Don’t do it if not required.

Last edited:
Top Bottom