Brazilian Rain Tree Goo

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello All~

I was working with my BRT this morning and noticed this gel like substance on the branches. I peeled all of it off and it brought small pieces of bark with it.
The "Gel" actually looks like some sort of egg (second picture)

Has anyone seen this before and if so what is it and how do you get rid of it??

Thanks in advance

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
looks like snail/slug eggs

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
looks like snail/slug eggs

Thanks for the input but in my experience,snails/slugs will only lay eggs where it s dark and moist. This tree is in 90 degree plus temperatures every day. The only moisture it gets is watering daily, and it's usually dry by that time.
Do snails/slugs lay their egg in that environment?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
As I said elsewhere, that looks very like oozing, jelly-like sap from a wound.

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As I said elsewhere, that looks very like oozing, jelly-like sap from a wound.

I was just thinking--------do you think this could be from cicadas slitting the trunk/branches to lay their eggs??

tatorger

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
cicadas dont lay their eggs in trees... they lay them in the ground where the larve spends up ot 7 years then emerges sheds into an adult mates and dies within months

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
cicadas dont lay their eggs in trees... they lay them in the ground where the larve spends up ot 7 years then emerges sheds into an adult mates and dies within months

With all due respect:

The female has a saw-like egg-laying apparatus that she uses to cut the bark of twigs and to splinter the sapwood where she lays her eggs. The twigs of deciduous trees are the most common hosts to periodical cicadas.

This type of damage is the most severe injury that the cicada inflicts on its host tree. Egg punctures can be extremely damaging to nursery seedlings and to specimen or ornamental trees as infected twigs often wilt and die.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Couls be similar to the orange goo that froms on junipers when the get cedar apple rust.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My elms will produce slimy semi-solid goo when there had been a lot of rain and they've got larger freshpruning wounds. My black cherry does the same when it is injured by pests. Black cherry is "prunus resinosa" for a reason. The resin it pushes can overwhelm insects chewing into it.

Has this tree been hard pruned in the last few weeks? Are there signs of invasive insects like borers or carpenter ants?

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My elms will produce slimy semi-solid goo when there had been a lot of rain and they've got larger freshpruning wounds. My black cherry does the same when it is injured by pests. Black cherry is "prunus resinosa" for a reason. The resin it pushes can overwhelm insects chewing into it.

Has this tree been hard pruned in the last few weeks? Are there signs of invasive insects like borers or carpenter ants?

No, the tree had some light branch pruning but not in the areas the fungus formed. I have seen no evidence of borers and do not have any carpenter ants to my knowledge.

iamurthman posted this on another forum:

Hi Gandalf, this is jelly fungus, commonly known as, 'witches butter'. It is a non-parasitic hitchhiker on the tree, just along for the ride. It is usually seen in areas of high rainfall (rainforest) and is common here in SW Oregon. Most jelly fungus are edible (but not incredible), most lacking any flavor, used in soups by hardcore fungiphiles. I'll pass, thanks.

Top Bottom