Brazilian Rain Tree growing from a small rooted cutting question.

Reaction score
I acquired this small rooted cutting a year and a half ago. It is growing nicely, but has yet to branch out despite it's height. I did try pruning the tip once to to see if that would force some branching, but no success. Does anyone know any tips for forcing it to branch out? Should I prune it shorter, or should I continue to let it grow and thicken up to see if it branches on it's own? Typically, pruning the tips works on other species.

Attachments

• IMG_20210901_204540060.jpg
    IMG_20210901_204540060.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230305_144357116_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230305_144357116_HDR.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
When mine were young I would let them grow as much as possible before pruning. They seem to thrive off of momentum. After I took this picture I pruned down to a foot or so but didn't take pictures. Plenty of branching after that though.
View attachment 475497
Wow, mine is starting to grow sideways like that and I have been worried about it supporting itself. Now, I know it will if I continue to just let it grow. Thanks for sharing.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many species just grow 1 or 2 new shoots from buds closer to the tip when pinched lightly. Pruning harder will usually give more side shoots. Yours is still pretty small and thin so letting it grow like @SWfloirda has shown will both thicken the trunk and give more branching after you eventually chop back harder.

Reaction score
Many species just grow 1 or 2 new shoots from buds closer to the tip when pinched lightly. Pruning harder will usually give more side shoots. Yours is still pretty small and thin so letting it grow like @SWfloirda has shown will both thicken the trunk and give more branching after you eventually chop back harder.
I was a bit concerned with it, but I now see where it is normal to grow this way. I will continue to let it grow out. Thank you for replying.

Top Bottom