Brazilian Rain Tree Growing

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a Brazilian Rain Tree that was hurting when I got it a couple of months ago but has since recovered nicely.

The tree is growing like crazy I’m just curious if I should let it keep going the way it is or prune some growing tips a bit or maybe try some wiring? I would like to get it into a nicer pot and better soil but I know it’s a bit early for repotting BRT.

Also I have yellow leaves towards the bottom but there is much more new growth the yellow leaves, just curious if this is normal ?

Attachments

• E148FA25-8C30-4993-AA9E-092D2D71D3AA.jpeg
    E148FA25-8C30-4993-AA9E-092D2D71D3AA.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 91
  • E0447EAF-C364-4B50-BB47-F985FFB550A6.jpeg
    E0447EAF-C364-4B50-BB47-F985FFB550A6.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 65
  • CC3E2FB5-14F3-4ED6-9DC0-CF7F2709C469.jpeg
    CC3E2FB5-14F3-4ED6-9DC0-CF7F2709C469.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 72

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lower leaf-yellowing on an otherwise healthy looking tree would seem to indicate these lower leaves are being shaded-out by higher growth.

BRT's are sturdy plants amiable to most bonsai techniques. Feed well and provided ample moisture.

Most important, enjoy your time with your tree! :cool: 😷

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lower leaf-yellowing on an otherwise healthy looking tree would seem to indicate these lower leaves are being shaded-out by higher growth.

BRT's are sturdy plants amiable to most bonsai techniques. Feed well and provided ample moisture.

I love your avatar. Game: blouses.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Thanks for your response, that makes sense. I thought maybe over watering but when I slip the put off the roots are healthy and white in color and there’s no signs of rot. I also included a pic of the newest lower growth branch that looks good. And some of the yellow branches I mentioned I in the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 48

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do the wounds in the BRT go away? Like this ones? It looks like a black circle

Attachments

• DCE0EE8E-785E-4B91-A1FD-6011DF38E98B.png
    DCE0EE8E-785E-4B91-A1FD-6011DF38E98B.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 54

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do the wounds in the BRT go away? Like this ones? It looks like a black circle
They can, but it usually requires you to grow the tree so that the girth of the trunk increases. If you keep the tree pruned so that the trunk stays the same diameter, healing over of large wounds slows to a crawl - if it progresses at all.

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I find that a leaf drop is normal after re-potting and coming out of "winter". To heal large scars, let a branch above the scar grow wild for a season or two, I cover the scar with electrical dumdum sealer, 1" wide in a roll w/ tape to keep it from sticking together (Home Depot). It lets the scar roll over and heal faster. Much cheaper than the Japanese clay sealer and it doesn't dry out. BRTs like a balanced time release w/ micros. I'm getting ready to airlayer a 12'er, need a 8' ladder to get to the top- out of control! Airlayers root in 30 days here in Aug/Sept.
Be Safe

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can trim these pretty much at any time they are growing (which for me has been year-round, indoors or outside). They back bud reliably and profusely. Wiring can produce scars on the bark easily and the wood is hard so it is best to wire new shoots loosely when young. Allowing a sacrificial shoot to grow very long (several feet) is the fastest way to thicken trunks and shoots and heal scars.

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My BRTs are finishing their first growth spurt as we are starting to get 70f nights. I'm about to start my first round of air layers on my 15 gallon and 25 gallon BRTs, they take longer this early. Instead of trimming each big tree back to a hard line, I air layer back to a hard line, should get at least 100 air layers as I .usually get 100%. I use fresh sphagnum dampened with well water and a shot of Superthrive, then apply straight Dip-N-Grow hormone to the bark above the cut. Saran Wrap the sphagnum then wrap with aluminum foil. When wiring BRTs and other tropicals I take a smaller diameter piece of wire about 6" long, wrap a .5" circle on one end, then lay it on the branch, then wire as normal, pulling the 6" wire along continuing wiring. This buys some time as BRTs, Ficus, Desmodiums, Xylosmas....... wiring normally the branch will scar into the wire in a month- the only drawback is that the bending is not as "tight" when bending. I'll see about posting some photos soon.
Be Safe

Top Bottom