Brazilian Rain Tree help- new growth drying/wilting

SirJesse

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
About a month ago I purchased a BRT. After about two weeks time, I noticed an aphid problem on the tree. I also noticed that some of the new growth had been somewhat stunted, appearing to be dry or wilted. I applied an appropriate pesticide to the tree and the aphids haven't been a problem since then. However, some of that same new growth has yet to recover, its either just dried or have deformed leaflets. Is this problem stemming from the aphids that had infested the tree? Or does this sound like a watering issue?

I know the BRT's like to have slightly moist soil so I use the first digit rule and once it starts feeling a little more dry or if the top seems dry I'll provide it water. Any suggestions, tips, or education would be appreciated. I will try to get pictures later today.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Damaged leaves don't recover, the tree just has to grow new ones. BRTs love water in hot summers, so it's probably just underwatered.

In Zone 5B, though, surely it's a LOT cooler now? It might be done with significant growth for the season at this point.

SirJesse

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Damaged leaves don't recover, the tree just has to grow new ones. BRTs love water in hot summers, so it's probably just underwatered.

In Zone 5B, though, surely it's a LOT cooler now? It might be done with significant growth for the season at this point.
That would make sense given that during that period when the leaves began to wilt and dry, we had a few days of high temps, and I didn't water it every day for fear of overwatering. At the time, the soil seemed wet, but I was new to the BRT, so maybe I had underestimated its love of water.

Yes now our daily average-high seems to be about 75 and our lows are in the lower 60s. I definitely overlooked how the temperature change would slow the growth rate. I appreciate that reminder.

Otherwise, I've now included the photos of the leaves that I had mentioned before. With what you've previously stated, does the underwatering issue still seem to be the culprit?

Thank you for your help and expertise by the way!

Attachments

• IMG-2509.jpg
    IMG-2509.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-2511.jpg
    IMG-2511.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom