Brazilian rain tree help

trigo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Ok temps have warmed up here but humidity still low but have had the tree in a makeshift greenhouse over it. This is the progression so far still not doing the greatest but has new growth. The whole back side is still all dead is there a way to get growth back on this side of tree? Thanks
you will only get growth back there if it resprouts from the base of those branches, where it's still alive. This kind of dieback is very strange, never had that happen to mine, dou you have problems with borers in your place?

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
you will only get growth back there if it resprouts from the base of those branches, where it's still alive. This kind of dieback is very strange, never had that happen to mine, dou you have problems with borers in your place?
I never have had any issues with them. I know that the die back is strange that's why I'm baffled and posting on here. Is there a way to encourage budding at the bases of those branches? So far there's no buds there. I lifted the pot and there's white roots poking out one of the drainage holes but I noticed that the tree can be wiggled in the pot and it used to be secure in the pot and the area of soil that moved when wiggled was small. I'm wondering if have a issue in the roots. I keep soil moist but not drenched. It's been 2 years since last repot.

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I repotted my BRT there were roots coming out drainage holes it had been 2 years since last repotted. Tree has new growth just not as much as normal so was hopping this would help. There were no feeder roots on either side of the rootball there were only feeder roots out at end of 2 thick about as thick as my pinky finger that are about 4-6 inches long then there was large matted climbs of feeder roots at the end that were shaped to side of pot and going the whole way around almost and half way across bottom. 2 years ago when I repotted it the big roots were short only a couple inches long with lots of feeder roots coming off of them the whole way around so I trimmed them back by 1/3 so I'm not sure what happened. The soil was really wet even though I hadn't water in a couple days because soil was wet. This time I only untangled and thinned them out. I feel the big thick long roots need cut back but then I'll loose all my feeder roots and tree already not doing greater since it lost all its branches along bottom and up the back or front however you look at it. Do any of you have any wisdom for me it would be greatly appreciated. I did manage to get some cuttings to root. Had issue with chipmunk getting into them.

trigo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I repotted my BRT there were roots coming out drainage holes it had been 2 years since last repotted. Tree has new growth just not as much as normal so was hopping this would help. There were no feeder roots on either side of the rootball there were only feeder roots out at end of 2 thick about as thick as my pinky finger that are about 4-6 inches long then there was large matted climbs of feeder roots at the end that were shaped to side of pot and going the whole way around almost and half way across bottom. 2 years ago when I repotted it the big roots were short only a couple inches long with lots of feeder roots coming off of them the whole way around so I trimmed them back by 1/3 so I'm not sure what happened. The soil was really wet even though I hadn't water in a couple days because soil was wet. This time I only untangled and thinned them out. I feel the big thick long roots need cut back but then I'll loose all my feeder roots and tree already not doing greater since it lost all its branches along bottom and up the back or front however you look at it. Do any of you have any wisdom for me it would be greatly appreciated. I did manage to get some cuttings to root. Had issue with chipmunk getting into them.
You repoted a tree that already had a strange dieback, and aparently was not healthy, don't do anything anymore, just fertilize after you see new growth and give as much sun as you can. They like water, but your soil mix MUST DRAIN. They don't like wet feet.

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes I repotted it. It had new growth long shoots from the top of the tree. I noticed alot of roots sticking out through the drainage holes and that the soil was staying wet all the time even though I wasn't watering so I figured the roots had the drainage holes blocked. I tried opening them up from underneath but couldn't get them well. I noticed the soil was very wet so was figuring that was the issue and I felt to solve the issue I would slip pot it into fresh soil after removing the really wet soil it was really wet probably could ring water from it. But when I pulled it from the pot the soil just fell away from the middle and I saw what I described above. I know they don't like soggy roots I read that the solution is to repot the tree. I know certain roots feed certain parts of the tree so was assuming the roots dieing from soggy soil because drainage holes were blocked from roots was causing the branch die back. Anyway it's in fresh better soil now so I'll see if I saved it or killed it. Thanks for your advise

Top Bottom