Brazilian Rain Tree - Leaves Drying & Dropping...Will it Recover

craigb303

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently purchased two brazilian rain trees. I was having a problem with the leaves turning yellow and dropping. I read on this forum that it was probably due to over-watering. So, I cut back quite a bit.

Now, the leaves on both of them have wilted. One of the trees has lost nearly all its leaves while the other one is still holding most of its leaves through they're curled and not looking very good.

Any ideas on what's causing this and whether the trees will recover?

Also, all of the windows in my condo are west-facing so the trees only get direct sunlight for half of the day. It's hard to imagine that's causing a drying problem but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sounds like your trees are inside the house...if they are, that (most likely) is your problem.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Sounds like your trees are inside the house...if they are, that (most likely) is your problem.

Agreed. Unless you put significant effort into setting up a special indoor environment for your plants, bonsai is an outdoor hobby.

craigb303

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The brazilian rain tree was recommended to me specifically because I was looking for a bonsai that would do well indoors. Was I given a bad recommendation?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the input. The brazilian rain tree was recommended to me specifically because I was looking for a bonsai that would do well indoors. Was I given a bad recommendation?
YES. BRT is a tropical tree that loves humidity & sun.

For indoor, try ficus...but note that all plants will do much better outside.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The sooner the better (now). I can only give you a useless guess, it really depends on how weak the tree got. There is also the issue of other care like watering (under or worse, over).

Good luck!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The other thing about Brazilian rain trees, is that they'll drop their leaves in new environments, so it could be from the move to you from wherever you got them. So just make sure now that you're not underwatering them. Oh, yeah, and move them outside...
They'll probably recover, and grow all new leaves. Please post some pics so we can give you better help.

craigb303

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's a pic. It could be in better focus but you can see that the leaves are still green but curled up. And, they're dry. This is, obviously, the tree that is still holding onto the leaves.

For the other tree, picture a nude BRT...it has lost all but a couple stems of leaves. Its leaves looked like this before they turned brown and started dropping.

So, if they like humidity, is it going to be impossible to keep these alive in the dry Colorado climate? Or, will a humidity tray and frequent misting do the trick? Assuming, of course, I can revive them in the first place.

Oh, and, what constitutes over-watering? I know it's hard to be specific so I'm just looking for a general idea. Is a quarter cup of water every other day too much? Nowhere near enough?

2012-06-23_07-12-00_783.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-06-23_07-12-23_28.jpg
    2012-06-23_07-12-23_28.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
for the watering, stick a wooden skewer or chopstick into the soil halfway between the trunk and the pot. Pull it out every day, and feel it. If it's wet don't water, if it's almost dry, then water. Water until the water runs out the bottom of the pot, wait a couple minutes, then do it again. Only water when it needs it. I can't speak to the climate you're in, and what you can do to help with humidity, maybe someone from out your way can chime in.
Don't give up on this tree yet, it may drop all those leaves, and come back with a new crop...

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
One of my first trees was a Brazilian rain tree, it lost its leaves every time i moved it from inside to outside, if i watered it to little, or if i just looked at it the wrong way. They can be fussy, but they are also very tough. You should get new buds forming on the tree in a week, and a whole new crop of leaves in 2 weeks. But deffinately move the tree outdoors, they like the humidity.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please update your profile so we can know exactly where you are. That will help us help you. You mentioned you are in Colorado, but where? I've lived there a couple years in a few different areas. Now I am in Utah and the climate is fairly similar, depending where you are at. i don't have any experience with Brazilian rain trees though, sorry.

craigb303

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks, again, for the input. It's good to know they're resilient trees. They're now outside so they'll get a lot more light but I'm not sure they're going to get the humidity they need. I'm in Denver, which is a pretty dry climate. Granted, it's not the Atacama desert but it sure isn't Georgia or the pacific northwest either.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well now that they're outside, at least they'll have a fighting chance, keep us posted on how it goes!

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
First never wire a BRT. They scar easily. Use guide wiring. Secondly make sure you have well draining soil, but they like moist soil. Denver is a tough climate for BRTs. I have one that I have owned for 15 years. During the winter months I bring it in my home. The leaves will turn yellow and die back. The pest for what ever reason show up. But the tree survives. Anyway my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Art

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have found (just my experience) that you can wire them, you just have to be super vigilant about getting it off before it scars...
Maybe because in my climate it doesn't grow as fast, so it's not so hard to keep an eye out for that.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought I better amend my last post to include the detail that I wrap any large branch I'm wiring with raffia to protect it from marking... The little ones, I just do a bit loose.

Top Bottom