Brazilian Rain Tree Male?Female?

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok well this season I was lucky enough to get ahold of some brt seeds for some reason though my local bonsai Nursery and I have trouble getting are's to produce seed pods he even has a huge one in the ground that flowers but does not produce seed pods I have rooted a bunch of cuttings with no problem but I like how much faster the seedlings develop

Well I was able to make contact with an English speaking,Brazilian, who has offered to trade seeds with me this is some of what he told me
You are not getting seeds cause as far as I know this species is dioecious,
that the sexes are separated in different individuals, the female doesn't have
torns.... the ones you have are all clones?

I've seen on some sites this confusion of names ... Here we call this species:
Tataré, Jacaré, Angico-branco, Jurema, Vinhático-de-espinho. and in the Bonsai
groups just "Piteco".

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? Either way I have about 35 seedlings and some haven't developed thorns yet but some already have well developed ones I've never seen a thorn-less one
these are some of my seedlings about 2 weeks ago they've already grown a bunch since then
brts007.jpg

brts008.jpg

these are a couple of my rooted cuttings
brts001.jpg

brts002.jpg

Here's the mother to my clones this was 3 months ago its been re-potted and shaped after re-potting it lost all it's foliage I will put an updated photo up if anyone is interested
photo-1.jpg

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I visited A nursery that sell Bonsai and they had some BRT there that had seed pods growing on them and they also had thorns. I think they said they had them shipped in from New England Bonsai.

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how about that I answered my own question I found a thorn-less BRT today Well Robert at Dragon tree bonsai found 2 large ones in his stock today and he is friends with the guy at New England bonsai so they all may have come from the same place anyway I was giving some good size cuttings from them to root plus you would think I would have to have some in all the seedlings I started

octoberust

Seedling
Reaction score
At this point it looks like you have your own tree nursery going!:D Interesting stuff about the male female aspect. I wonder why the thorn bearing variety seem to be more available / popular? Are you planning a forest style planting in the future?

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've had my BRT in a bonsai pot for over 20 years.... lots of thorns! Every few years it has a few flowers on it, this year there were 3 or 4 seed pods. There is no other BRT here, so really doubt the need for male/female cross fertilization. guess they are bi-sexual????

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well thats why I started the thread thanks for the input cubbie. I was told this from someone in Brazil and then to actually find some with no thorns I got to admit I thought I was onto something thanks

mage973

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, Great looking trees! What are the soil ingredients for the cuttings and also for the brts once they are established?

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the interest nobody wants to talk to me :( anyway I have been experimenting with soil mixes so the ones in the photos may have different mixes you want a very free draining mix that doesn't hold onto moisture to long with the cuttings and now with the seedlings im using 50% perlite 50% turface with the bigger ones im experimenting with chicken grit (crushed granite) because it doesn't hold moisture oh and pine bark based soil I've also started to incorporate some pool filter sand the granules are larger then regular sand so it drains better you can get a bag of that for 5 bucks at the depot

octoberust

Seedling
Reaction score
I would imagine you are putting those soil ingredients through a screen to remove the fines. I made the mistake of not screening my turface ad it held water for way to long.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
cubbie please post a picture,it must have a pretty thick trunk.It is really awesome when real trees flower- no offence to the pyracantha + bougainvilla boys-i have 1 acacia that is putting out flower buds this year after 10 years [1 out of 50 planted from the same tree at the same time]

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
my new years resolution this year was to take regular pictures of my trees..... another resolution broken. i looked at my photos, the last one taken of the BRT was in '09. THIS WEEKEND i will go out and get a nice picture to post......

Gidderdun

Seed
Reaction score
Ok well this season I was lucky enough to get ahold of some brt seeds for some reason though my local bonsai Nursery and I have trouble getting are's to produce seed pods he even has a huge one in the ground that flowers but does not produce seed pods I have rooted a bunch of cuttings with no problem but I like how much faster the seedlings develop

Well I was able to make contact with an English speaking,Brazilian, who has offered to trade seeds with me this is some of what he told me

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? Either way I have about 35 seedlings and some haven't developed thorns yet but some already have well developed ones I've never seen a thorn-less one
these are some of my seedlings about 2 weeks ago they've already grown a bunch since then
brts007.jpg

brts008.jpg

brts001.jpg

brts002.jpg

Here's the mother to my clones this was 3 months ago its been re-potted and shaped after re-potting it lost all it's foliage I will put an updated photo up if anyone is interested
photo-1.jpg
Hello, im new to the group and was reading some of the email traffic. I have two medium sized BRT trees, one thornless and the other thorny. Well, about two weeks ago the thorny BRT produced flowers and im wondering how long does it normally take to get the curly seed pods? I have the Chloroleucon Tortum species ( Varieties). I've attached photos. Thanks.

brts007.jpg

brts008.jpg

brts001.jpg

brts002.jpg

photo-1.jpg
Hello, I'm new to this group/forum and was reading over some of posts. I have both thorny and thorn-less species of Chloroleucon Tortum. My thorny BRT produced flowers about three weeks ago and they have since dried up. My question is how long before the curly seed pods develop must I wait? Is there truth to the theory that only thorn-less BRT produce seed pods? I've attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_53111.jpg
    IMG_53111.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_53131.jpg
    IMG_53131.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_53051.jpg
    IMG_53051.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom