Brazilian rain tree question

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alright so one of my rain trees is in some tiny roots tropical soil . That being said it's fine for indoors but I'm wanting to put it outside . The issue with this is I work 12 hr shifts and its really windy and about to start getting real hot here. At the moment the high is mid 80s and is about to start pushing 90s +. What I'm wanting to know is would it hurt the tree is I was to pop it out of the pot and put it in different soil . It was repotted in February befor I had started mixing my own soil . The tree is growing and doing fine in current soil but I want to put it outside and it not dry out befor I'm able to get home and water. Also when I say pop it out I mean pull it out shake off all the loose stuff and put in a different medium

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Also when I say pop it out I mean pull it out shake off all the loose stuff and put in a different medium
Sounds like a bad idea to me although I am certainly no BRT expert, I have had a few for several years. It gets pretty hot here in the summer and once a day watering is usually sufficient. If it's that hot and windy, maybe water before you go to work and check it when you get home. Repotting any tree every couple of months is probably going to be detrimental to the tree or kill it.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can always pot the whole thing, pot in all in a larger pot to increase the moisture mass. Adding milled sphagnum to the top of your soil will help.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I keep mine in inorganic substrate and water them once a day. It gets hot here and the wind blows too.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe your best bet would be to drape a damp, light-colored T-shirt over the surface of the soil. Then get a couple cheap terra-cotta pots from where-ever. Break them up into pieces, appropriately sized to cover the surface of the pot.

Sphagnum can become very "water phobic" once dry. Complicates things when it's time for you to water. Easily blown away, birds, chipmunks and squirrels love to mess with it too.......why bother?

Your going to need to water in the morning, that can be a pain. 5:00 am sessions can be tedious, to say the least.

No more winter re-pots, and I would just leave it be in its current soil. BRT's pretty tough and I've seen some amazing resiliency on numerous occasions...hehe..... 🤔

turface, bark, gravel and peat grown...fairly moist mix, watered once a day.....maybe half a day in full sun...

DSC00669.JPG DSC00670.JPG

as mentioned, it's possible to nest a container in another with soil or on a deep tray with soil to act as a "reserve"....roots just have to grow out of the little pot first...not always a guarantee, but can be effective.;)

Good luck sir!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another option is put the tree under a sprinkler with a timer for one watering in the morning and check the tree when you get home at night and water it by hand then if it needs it.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another option is put the tree under a sprinkler with a timer for one watering in the morning and check the tree when you get home at night and water it by hand then if it needs it.
I'm trying to save some extra money to make something like that now

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe your best bet would be to drape a damp, light-colored T-shirt over the surface of the soil. Then get a couple cheap terra-cotta pots from where-ever. Break them up into pieces, appropriately sized to cover the surface of the pot.

Sphagnum can become very "water phobic" once dry. Complicates things when it's time for you to water. Easily blown away, birds, chipmunks and squirrels love to mess with it too.......why bother?

Your going to need to water in the morning, that can be a pain. 5:00 am sessions can be tedious, to say the least.

No more winter re-pots, and I would just leave it be in its current soil. BRT's pretty tough and I've seen some amazing resiliency on numerous occasions...hehe..... 🤔

turface, bark, gravel and peat grown...fairly moist mix, watered once a day.....maybe half a day in full sun...

View attachment 440221 View attachment 440222

as mentioned, it's possible to nest a container in another with soil or on a deep tray with soil to act as a "reserve"....roots just have to grow out of the little pot first...not always a guarantee, but can be effective.;)

Good luck sir!
I'm already getting up at 5 am. So I can get up get ready eat something as I water my pines or atleast check them.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like a bad idea to me although I am certainly no BRT expert, I have had a few for several years. It gets pretty hot here in the summer and once a day watering is usually sufficient. If it's that hot and windy, maybe water before you go to work and check it when you get home. Repotting any tree every couple of months is probably going to be detrimental to the tree or kill it.
I'm not wanting to repot just pick up shake off what will fall of and put it back in . No root cutting at all

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess the picture didn't upload because it was to big but this is the tree I'm talking about this morning

Attachments

• 20220604_084042.jpg
    20220604_084042.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220604_084034.jpg
    20220604_084034.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 38

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 440221 View attachment 440222

Good luck sir!
Lance I'm hopeing one day the treecim talking about is that size also this was my first tree my my 2nd Brt is in a much wetter spoil but seems to love it even tho I didn't at first

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess the picture didn't upload because it was to big but this is the tree I'm talking about this morning

Not too big so hydration should be a lot easier.

Don't let the top get too overgrown. Even constant pruning gives results.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I keep mine in a mix of pumice and haydite with about 30% pine bark. I hVe not had to water it more than once a day but it is only hitting about 80 here. You might out it somewhere it could be in afternoon shade and also put long fiber sphagnum on top of the soil to act as a sort of mulch. That will also protect those tiny roots form drying out.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep mine in a mix of pumice and haydite with about 30% pine bark. I hVe not had to water it more than once a day but it is only hitting about 80 here. You might out it somewhere it could be in afternoon shade and also put long fiber sphagnum on top of the soil to act as a sort of mulch. That will also protect those tiny roots form drying out.
I have mulch I could put on it to help protect it I put it around my japanese maples I put in the ground this year

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This branch I feel like needs to go not much movement but splits off further up nicely and covers up alot of spots that I feel needed it should I leave it or cut it back for more movement?

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This branch . Sorry couldn't get all of it in the pic

Attachments

• 16543720532072035493909219022492.jpg
    16543720532072035493909219022492.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 30

rootpuma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would think slip potting would be fine. Don't even shake off the loose dirt...try to keep it all as one with very little root disturbance and place it into a bigger pot adding the new moisture retention soil to the outside.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would think slip potting would be fine. Don't even shake off the loose dirt...try to keep it all as one with very little root disturbance and place it into a bigger pot adding the new moisture retention soil to the outside.
It's currently in a 12in pot I've got a 14 in I could slip pot it into . But I may just go head and wait until next year atleast . Or I may just test and see how long it takes to almost dry out on my days off when out side it would get the same amount of sun it would just have almost constant breeze/wind on it worse case I could always run home on lunch an give it a soak if it's drying out quick when I test on my days off. I would rather not have to do that with gas prices climbing and I would also have to speed . I would rather not risk a wreck or ticket to water it . But I'll consider slip potting it .

Top Bottom