Brazilian rain tree questions

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so I recently repotted one of my rain trees amd it's doing great befor repotting I noticed it had a root out of the soil a rather large one so in the repotting process I made sure to leave it and see where it went no I was not going for exposed root look but my question is. Is it very normal for them to have a surface root? All the pictures I've seen I've never noticed surface roots

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm trying to figure out how to posy it with out makeing it a zip

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd keep it covered and let it thicken up.

It looks like there may be some salt buildup on the root...the white crust. The picture quality may just be off though. If it is salt, it will kill the root eventually. If it is salt, it's building up there because water evaporates from the surface and leaves the salts behind. Covering the root with some soil will help protect the root from that kind of buildup...but, if it is salt buildup...you'll need to be careful how you water over time. Don't panic...it may just be the picture quality over the interwebs. But it's worth a closer look to be sure.

Do you have a picture of the entire tree? The bark doesn't look quite right to me for a BRT. Mine have a much smoother bark...especially at that size...that is either light grey (old bark) or white (fresh bark after the outer bark has peeled).

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd keep it covered and let it thicken up.

It looks like there may be some salt buildup on the root...the white crust. The picture quality may just be off though. If it is salt, it will kill the root eventually. If it is salt, it's building up there because water evaporates from the surface and leaves the salts behind. Covering the root with some soil will help protect the root from that kind of buildup...but, if it is salt buildup...you'll need to be careful how you water over time. Don't panic...it may just be the picture quality over the interwebs. But it's worth a closer look to be sure.

Do you have a picture of the entire tree? The bark doesn't look quite right to me for a BRT. Mine have a much smoother bark...especially at that size...that is either light grey (old bark) or white (fresh bark after the outer bark has peeled).
There's pictures in my other thread it's not salt it's calcium from the humidifier my tap water isn't real great for watering so I don't use the tap water I water with rain water also that root has hardened off an the bark has been falling off showing real green underneath so I'm guessing it's just growing also I know the pic sucks I had to turn the quality down on my camera to make it able to be posted and its for sure a BRT I've been keeping thorns under control and all the other stuff to maintain it

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Note: Calcium is one of the elements referred to when people say salt buildup, where a salt is just a chemical, considered a combination of a metal ion with a non-metal ion.
Alright nice to know but the tree seems to be fine ?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's pictures in my other thread it's not salt it's calcium from the humidifier my tap water isn't real great for watering so I don't use the tap water I water with rain water also that root has hardened off an the bark has been falling off showing real green underneath so I'm guessing it's just growing also I know the pic sucks I had to turn the quality down on my camera to make it able to be posted and its for sure a BRT I've been keeping thorns under control and all the other stuff to maintain it

You might be able to keep higher quality pictures by opening in paint or something similar and cropping rather than turning down the resolution. High quality pictures are really helpful in diagnosing situations.

As @leatherback said..."salt" in the chemistry sense of a metal and a non-metal combined. Not necessarily sodium chloride which is table salt. Many salts do not readily re-dissolve once they've fallen out of solution. Table salt is one of the ones that re-dissolves easier than most. The calcium and iron salts do not re-ionize easily which is why hard water is so damaging to pipes!

When you say "humidifier" do you mean de-humidifier?? A humidifier puts water back into the air. It needs to get the water from somewhere: often your house plumbing :) A de-humidifier pulls moisture out of the air. It usually does so by cooling the air to condense out the water vapor. If the collection bin is clean, this usually results in pure water with no or very little dissolved salts. I would not expect water from a de-humidifier to leave salt deposits from watering.

I did see your other thread. Tip: don't trust that just because you created threads at the same time that everyone will have seen them in the order you created...or seen the related threads at all :D Over time, the threads will separate in the forum and it will not be obvious which threads are related to what. If you want to reference one thread from another, it's usually best to copy in a link of the other thread:

But, yeah, I did see the other thread...after words :) I was wondering about the lack of thorns. No harm removing them...I like them and leave them on mine so I'm used to seeing them is all :D Your new growth looks like what I would expect, but the bark in the picture above was throwing me. For reference, this is what I'm used to seeing on my trees:

20210821_171136.jpg

It was hard to relate looking at your pictures...but it may just be the lighting and picture quality. That's not a knock on your picture taking ability! We've all been there! It's really tough to take a picture that is close and clear enough to show what you're trying to show :( Especially with a hand held cell phone that doesn't want to focus where you want it too! I have been known to get out my tripod and DSLR camera when I've needed good quality pics...not that everyone is expected to have that kind of equipment ;)

In a more direct answer to your original post: yes, it is fine for them to have surface roots. It will not hurt the tree. However, until the care of your tree has become routine, I'd aim to keep the roots covered. There are lots of benefits and few to no detriments to fully covered roots at this stage of development. If they do happen to pop out during watering, etc...as long as there is a sufficient root ball under the soil, the tree will not suffer for it.

Good luck with your tree! I really like the two I have :D I may even try cuttings to get a few more this summer!

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for in info and when I day humidifier I mean it's putting water in the air like a cloud of it also the tree with the surface root was just repotted earlier this month into a bigger pot from its pre bonsai pot that was 6in now in a 12 in square pot also I'm doing all my posting from my phone I wish I could pot better photos I might try takeing them in I higher resolution and putting th on my desk top and uploading I was having to use 9:16 vs 3:4 108 mp I can take good pictures the lighting in there room isn't the best there grow light is brighter the the house light lol but there getting moved in the next couple of weeks so I might can snag some better pics also the reason I remove the thorns is because I have a 3 year old who don't listen 100% of the time he don't mess with them but you never know

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look I get it. My Grammer isn't good at all but I joined this forum to get help when need and to look at everyone's trees. That being said if I'm going to catch hell over Grammer I'll just stop useing this forum and continue on like I was befor I started useing the form . Yeah I know I'm all upset.... no not really most of the time I am just typing in between playing with my kid . (Single parent) so I guess we will see what happens from here

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Look I get it. My Grammer isn't good at all but I joined this forum to get help when need and to look at everyone's trees. That being said if I'm going to catch hell over Grammer I'll just stop useing this forum and continue on like I was befor I started useing the form . Yeah I know I'm all upset.... no not really most of the time I am just typing in between playing with my kid . (Single parent) so I guess we will see what happens from here
I believe @leatherback was just teasing, no harm intended. Stick around, this is a great place and you can learn a lot.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Lord knows my spelling and grammar suck! That said: when communicating to learn, it is always best to be as precise and clear as one can be to help the listener help you. This is an international forum.

As an American speaker...we in the USA do NOT speak English no matter what we tell ourselves ;)...I was tempted to pass on your post simply because of the effort it took to read and try and understand it :(

Again...don't take offense. I'm sure @leatherback was teasing. My laughing guy on his post could also be construed as offensive: sorry. But I stand firmly behind grammar and spelling and an attempt at good communication is the least one can do to help others help us.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look I get it. My Grammer isn't good at all but I joined this forum to get help when need and to look at everyone's trees. That being said if I'm going to catch hell over Grammer I'll just stop useing this forum
Look I get it I am just a silly foreigner to you that has dificulty reading long posts especially if any form of punctuation is missing maybe it is easy for native speakers to read but I for one find it dificult to read when there is no full stops or something that divides the sentence in fact just typing these two sentences i had to go back 3 times to remove punctuation I doubt is it about being good or bad if you feel that we just have to understand what you write without you wanting to take a slimmer of effort why should we care but hey that is just me maybe in your world punctuation serves no purpose

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look I get it I am just a silly foreigner to you that has dificulty reading long posts especially if any form of punctuation is missing maybe it is easy for native speakers to read but I for one find it dificult to read when there is no full stops or something that divides the sentence in fact just typing these two sentences i had to go back 3 times to remove punctuation I doubt is it about being good or bad if you feel that we just have to understand what you write without you wanting to take a slimmer of effort why should we care but hey that is just me maybe in your world punctuation
I understand what your saying. But I had no issue reading what you typed out. Maybe it's the way I read. Who knows the way I look at it is like someone's speaking it if that makes since? Maybe it's because of where I'm from. When we speak there is little to no pause when speaking 🤔 sorry if this makes no since.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyways. I moved my two rain trees so they can get morning sun along with a grow light about 12in above them. That being said it's been a week maybe 2 since they was moved . I woke up this morning to a hole bunch of leafs dropped. The leafs were a mixture of dark green and light green. Do they drop leafs befor they start to take off? I've had both these trees maybe 4 months. So I'm still learning what the trees do and when. Also this is off subject but can you ladys and gents send good vibes my family's way. ( my mother found out she has liver lung and bone cancer). So I really don't want to loose these trees also she loved them. She would just sit an look at them when she would come visit .

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

This is not how the world works.

By posting, you are asking other people to read your post. Then to give your post some thought. And finally to type out a reply.
Why should people bother with your post if you are 'too busy' to make it readable?

There are literally hundreds of millions of other things online people can read or watch instead of your post. You can't get mad when someone gives you the very solid advice of using punctuation to make it more appealing for people to read your post, rather than watch Netflix. Other people may also have busy lives. Busy people aren't going to read your post just because you have a kid.

I see you actually did take up the advice. So props there. If I had any insights into Brazilian Rain Tree, and if this had a picture, I might have given advice.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks.gifTough news. Stay strong, she'll have a tough battle ahead. Be her rock and let her struggle wash off you like the tide.🖖

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is not how the world works.

By posting, you are asking other people to read your post. Then to give your post some thought. And finally to type out a reply.
Why should people bother with your post if you are 'too busy' to make it readable?

There are literally hundreds of millions of other things online people can read or watch instead of your post. You can't get mad when someone gives you the very solid advice of using punctuation to make it more appealing for people to read your post, rather than watch Netflix. Other people may also have busy lives. Busy people aren't going to read your post just because you have a kid.

I see you actually did take up the advice. So props there. If I had any insights into Brazilian Rain Tree, and if this had a picture, I might have given advice.
This was already resolved and moved on. So please just move on . I also was not mad I was simple just stating that most of the time when I was makeing ealier posts it was in between playing with my kid. (One handed).That being said . If you have no insight about any of the above questions why bother posting to try and fuel the fire? The fire is already extinguished.

Top Bottom