Brazilian Rain Tree Roots

Chriscenzo21

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up this Brazilian Rain Tree from a bonsai nursery last week and today I happened to notice roots are growing out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the container. Do these roots need to be cut back or should I consider repotting into a larger growing container?

Also, there are some roots growing above the soil, however I do not remember if they were like this when I purchased the tree. Should I add additional soil to cover up these roots?

Thanks for the advice!
95253642-3DBF-48E6-A0C1-073395C04295.jpegAA63BB51-98B0-4621-B2C0-F2ED2F45FDA0.jpegD8F4A1D3-28F9-4843-A5DC-DF680F598F0D.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I add additional soil to cover up these ro

It depends on From where they emanate.

If Too high from a good spread and they should be cut.

If the beginning of a great new spread, or a needed section of spread, they should be covered.

I leave my drain hole roots growing hydro in a tray, it only adds health and vigor.

Sorce

Chriscenzo21

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I leave my drain hole roots growing hydro in a tray, it only adds health and vigor.
Thanks for the response! I'm not very familiar with growing hydro but I'm assuming I would need a different tray rather than the humidity tray I'm using now? I'm afraid leaving them to grow out of the drain holes and into the humidity tray as they will be sitting in water.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the response! I'm not very familiar with growing hydro but I'm assuming I would need a different tray rather than the humidity tray I'm using now? I'm afraid leaving them to grow out of the drain holes and into the humidity tray as they will be sitting in water.
It comes down to chance really.

-You could leave it and it could be fine.

-You could leave it and lose the root, that then rots if it sits.

-You could remove it and be fine.

-You could remove it and lose the tree?

All of these but one is true. I vote remove it.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just trim the roots coming out of the drain holes and start looking into repotting in the spring.
Curious as to your rationale for trimming the roots now.

To check the rootball, you can slightly squeeze the sides of the pot to loosen it up. Then gently lift the tree out by the trunk. If the whole pot was populated by roots, you can pop it in a larger pot one size up and back fill it with similar soil. Don't cut a single root. The objective is to get it as strong as possible first. Or, you can just leave it as is and re pot next spring/early summer.

I believe these are sub-tropical so they should still be growing even while indoors. Under optimal condition of course. While not the same kind of tree, I had my Calamondin Citrus under 4, 4' T5 grow lights sitting next to South facing window. It grew okay over the winter. This year I have a weak Ginseng Ficus my brother gifted me. Let's see how it fairs indoors under same setup.

Top Bottom