Brazilian Rain Tree Seeds

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Did you use a little green house for cutting? If you didn't, you should try this for every cutting. It works great.
I made cutting about one year ago.
View attachment 221028 View attachment 221029 View attachment 221030

This morning
View attachment 221031 View attachment 221033

It already has interesting trunk line in the inferior aspect.
View attachment 221032

By that, if you can not get the cutting, then you have no choice to get the seed. If you have the choice, get the cutting, :)
I will transplant this cutting into the bigger pot soon.
Thụ Thoại
I have a couple little BRT's. Have tried cuttings when I pruned them. I guess I didn't put a whole lot of effort into them. I just used a little rooting hormone, and stuck them into some soil. Your little bottle greenhouse, is a great idea, I'll try it out the summer. Thanks!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple little BRT's. Have tried cuttings when I pruned them. I guess I didn't put a whole lot of effort into them. I just used a little rooting hormone, and stuck them into some soil. Your little bottle greenhouse, is a great idea, I'll try it out the summer. Thanks!
You are welcome, Carol 83
Thụ Thoại

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
How well / fast do they grow in climates like ours?
In the summer, they grow like gangbusters here. They rebel a bit, when brought in for the winter, get a little leggy, but do OK. Mine are in a southern exposure, with grow lights.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't know if this is still actual, but this link is.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-fresh-...339668?hash=item2f26053a14:g:8ncAAOSwsl9bmrbK
My seeds traveled only two weeks. After delivery few of them were scarified (nail cutter and hot water) and put in plastic pots.
... just 6 days later...
View attachment 221014 View attachment 221016
Merry Christmas to you all.

Thanks for the link. Ordered as well, looking forward to see if they arrive and if I can get them to grow. May I ask what soil you used?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the link. Ordered as well, looking forward to see if they arrive and if I can get them to grow. May I ask what soil you used?
You're welcome. It's really very rare to find offers like this on eBay. And if there's no plant material available where we live we have to grab seeds.
As for the soil, I used a recycled (re-used) mix of inorganic soil, some DE, lava and pumice.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
You're welcome. It's really very rare to find offers like this on eBay. And if there's no plant material available where we live we have to grab seeds.
As for the soil, I used a recycled (re-used) mix of inorganic soil, some DE, lava and pumice.

Yes, I was very pleased to see your post, firstly that it was available and also that you had ordered AND got it to grow. As long as it passes customs I think I have a good chance at growing them. Thanks for the soil composition as well! ??

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't know if this is still actual, but this link is.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-fresh-...339668?hash=item2f26053a14:g:8ncAAOSwsl9bmrbK
My seeds traveled only two weeks. After delivery few of them were scarified (nail cutter and hot water) and put in plastic pots.
... just 6 days later...
View attachment 221014 View attachment 221016
Merry Christmas to you all.

Hey Pete, curious on an update on your seeds, how are they coming along? My seeds I ordered should be here any day now.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are doing, well, how expected.
Ten seeds that were not scarified didn't germinate.
From 10 seeds that underwent scarification 8 germinared, 2 or 3 fell down later and the rest is ok for now. Truly, I didn't expect miracles this time of year, lack of light, no supplementary light, temperature so so. I hope some of them will survive and having 80 more I'll continue in spring/summer.
IMG_20190113_094545.jpg

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
They are doing, well, how expected.
Ten seeds that were not scarified didn't germinate.
From 10 seeds that underwent scarification 8 germinared, 2 or 3 fell down later and the rest is ok for now. Truly, I didn't expect miracles this time of year, lack of light, no supplementary light, temperature so so. I hope some of them will survive and having 80 more I'll continue in spring/summer.
View attachment 223311

Thanks Pete. Very cool. Really appreciate you posting about this. I will do the same in using a small quantity to test this time of the year. My thought was to grow them in an aquarium (that is empty) that has lights and see what happens. Will scarify all seeds then upon your experience. I’ll post once I’m up and running. Cheers

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
about
Thanks Pete. Very cool. Really appreciate you posting about this. I will do the same in using a small quantity to test this time of the year. My thought was to grow them in an aquarium (that is empty) that has lights and see what happens. Will scarify all seeds then upon your experience. I’ll post once I’m up and running. Cheers
Aquarium could work just fine.
To scarify seeds you can use a nail clipper or sanding whatever you prefer. Then put scarified seeds to a cup of almost hot water for 24 hrs... oh leave it cool down?. Next day your seeds will double or tripple in size and you can sow them. That's all from my very limited experience.

... and one more note. I worried about weather in which the seeds would travel, but the seller was a smart guy and the envelope was delivered right into my hands. Thank that they didn't have to wait in a cold/frozen mailbox.

BonsaiSnow

Seed
Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve been trying for almost two years now to find BRT seeds. Have had a lot of turn downs and problems with shipping to the US. Could anyone shed some light or lead me in the right direction. Really want to start some seedling indoors this winter so they can take off during the summer:)!

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
about
Aquarium could work just fine.
To scarify seeds you can use a nail clipper or sanding whatever you prefer. Then put scarified seeds to a cup of almost hot water for 24 hrs... oh leave it cool down?. Next day your seeds will double or tripple in size and you can sow them. That's all from my very limited experience.

... and one more note. I worried about weather in which the seeds would travel, but the seller was a smart guy and the envelope was delivered right into my hands. Thank that they didn't have to wait in a cold/frozen mailbox.

Hey,
just a note, I haven’t received the seeds from Brazil yet, they were sent on Jan 4th and according to the tracking they have yet to leave the country. Not that I’m in any rush.

Oh, and I also found this, haven’t ordered from there before but thought about it since it’s a lot closer (Germany): http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/produc...ge=en&iosCid=b99e8c93462a55af1655250f794059ae
Just thought I should let u know that they seem to be available in Europe after all.

How are yours coming along.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey,
just a note, I haven’t received the seeds from Brazil yet, they were sent on Jan 4th and according to the tracking they have yet to leave the country. Not that I’m in any rush.

Oh, and I also found this, haven’t ordered from there before but thought about it since it’s a lot closer (Germany): http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/produc...ge=en&iosCid=b99e8c93462a55af1655250f794059ae
Just thought I should let u know that they seem to be available in Europe after all.

Well, the seller says they can "get lost" at the customs. I hope it's not the case.

I did find them at the sunshine seeds, but that time they were out of stock.

I still have 5 of them growing, very slowly but I can see the first 2-3 trunk internodes and they're pretty tight. Will try to pot them individually in 2-3 months, depending on their growth and weather.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey,

After some time... a new member here on forum from Germany is asking for an advice where to get the seeds...
I'm curious, have you received yours and are they available at sunshineseeds.de?
I still have those five growing, now some 30 cm tall, the trunks are starting getting woody, waiting for warmer days to re-plant them individually ant put them outside.... and start next batch of seeds.

Matija

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm also looking for some BRT seeds. Sunshine Seeds seems to be out of stock, and can't seem to find the correct variety (I think) on ebay. If anyone aware of someone with access who is willing to sell, let me know!
Cheers!

Top Bottom