Brazilian Rain Tree Seeds

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey,
just a note, I haven’t received the seeds from Brazil yet, they were sent on Jan 4th and according to the tracking they have yet to leave the country. Not that I’m in any rush.

Oh, and I also found this, haven’t ordered from there before but thought about it since it’s a lot closer (Germany): http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/produc...ge=en&iosCid=b99e8c93462a55af1655250f794059ae
Just thought I should let u know that they seem to be available in Europe after all.

How are yours coming along.
Why didn’t I find this with a google search! Woooo thanks. Out of stock but maybe they get more.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well, as I have said before, yes you can get them in Brazil, they are protected so only batches of 20~30 seeds are available, yes the Brazilian mail service is unpredictable, yes they can be stopped at customs because... they are protected and seeds shouldn't be going to bonsai but to reforestation.
I have ordered some to a friend in the USA, but as the Brazilian mail workers are on strike they are taking longer than the usual to get home.
They say beginning of October, let's see.
20200921_214959.jpg

20200921_215028.jpg

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you use a little green house for cutting? If you didn't, you should try this for every cutting. It works great.
I made cutting about one year ago.
View attachment 221028 View attachment 221029 View attachment 221030

This morning
View attachment 221031 View attachment 221033

It already has interesting trunk line in the inferior aspect.
View attachment 221032

By that, if you can not get the cutting, then you have no choice to get the seed. If you have the choice, get the cutting, :)
I will transplant this cutting into the bigger pot soon.
Thụ Thoại
When did you plant your seeds?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for posting that link, I have succumbed and now have a pack of 10 seeds on the way 😂😂. I had been looking for some a while back but had given up because they were so scarce.

Although I’m not sure if these seeds are specifically BRT or a similar species because they are not listing the Latin name, nor are they naming it fully.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for posting that link, I have succumbed and now have a pack of 10 seeds on the way 😂😂. I had been looking for some a while back but had given up because they were so scarce.
Just as a heads up, it doesn’t come with a package tracking # and shipping might take a while due to COVID. The owner is very nice and I confirmed with other buyers that they are legit seeds. Hope this helps!

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Although I’m not sure if these seeds are specifically BRT or a similar species because they are not listing the Latin name, nor are they naming it fully.
Hold on, someone told me these aren't real seeds. They're albizia julibrissin seeds, which are Persian silks. Cancel while you can. I am so sorry

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
To repeat what was posted earlier, Brazilian rain tree, Pithecolobium tortum, is listed with CITES, as Endangered. This means international trade in seeds, seedlings, cuttings or any part of the plant is illegal.

In country shipment is legal, it is only illegal if the seed or cuttings cross an international border.

So try to source material in your own country. In the USA you risk seizure and fines if you try to import Pithecolobium tortum.

It is relatively common in botanical gardens, most countries have existing material that can be used as propagation stock. In usa just shop Weigert's.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I also bought 10 seeds yesterday and this morning they were marked shipped. I guess I will see what they are when I get them but the picture shown does not appear to be albizia julibrissin.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hold on, someone told me these aren't real seeds. They're albizia julibrissin seeds, which are Persian silks. Cancel while you can. I am so sorry
I can’t, they are already marked as shipped. Oh well, my suspicion is they are probably Samanea saman.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever the are, they will be fun to play with and the were cheap. I will not normally buy seeds unless I have a botanical name but it will be what it will be.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
To repeat what was posted earlier, Brazilian rain tree, Pithecolobium tortum, is listed with CITES, as Endangered. This means international trade in seeds, seedlings, cuttings or any part of the plant is illegal.

In country shipment is legal, it is only illegal if the seed or cuttings cross an international border.

So try to source material in your own country. In the USA you risk seizure and fines if you try to import Pithecolobium tortum.

It is relatively common in botanical gardens, most countries have existing material that can be used as propagation stock. In usa just shop Weigert's.
I reported my post with the hopes it gets taken down. I feel like crap for accidentally making people spend money they did not want to spend. I am so sorry to everyone... I was scammed too and contacted other buyers about it. I don't know if this will help any, but I did report the shop and Persian silks are beautiful trees as bonsais. I know this does not make up for the mistake I made. Just know I am sorry

Attachments

• persian silk.png
    persian silk.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 7

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, the will be interesting no matter what they are. Let’s just call them the “poor mans BRT” 😂😂
At least I have some Caesalpinia Ferrea on the way from sunshine seeds.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, the will be interesting no matter what they are. Let’s just call them the “poor mans BRT” 😂😂
At least I have some Caesalpinia Ferrea on the way from sunshine seeds.
You can request a refund

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can request a refund
As I bought as a guest on Etsy and have no way to contact the seller through PayPal...I’ll just stick with them. Besides if they have shipped already then it’s only fair they receive payment for goods that they could have sold to another buyer.
Might be interesting to grow them and see how they turn out. At least it’ll be something I haven’t grown before.😀

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom