Brazilian Rain Tree... to wire or not to wire?

Polcyn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have read that you shouldn't wire a brazilian rain tree for shape. Any thoughts?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I have read that you shouldn't wire a brazilian rain tree for shape. Any thoughts?

I'm not really sure what that means exactly but you can make the tree any shape you want really. I'm not even going into the Nat vs Traditional thing haha.

I don't use 'regular' wiring on any raintree I only use guy wires that are well cushioned on the branches. Because for me one of the interesting features of a raintree is the flattening and twisting of the trunk and branches and I don't want any scarring anywhere on the tree. It is a bit more work in order to keep good tension everywhere and while branches are setting the tree doesn't look good like a nicely wired juniper does with guy wires everywhere but I feel it's worth it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can wire a BRT. I brought one of my BRTs to a workshop 2 weeks ago with Mauro Stemberger. He had me completely defoliate it and wire it.

Use Aluminum wire on them

Polcyn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am definitely considering guy wiring it and directionally pruning for a year. Thanks guys/gals
Sandy, I love your blurb!

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
You can definitely wire a BRT, I have and the branches came out fantastic. That being said they grow very quickly, if you're the type to ignore a tree for a couple of months, might not be best to wire it. The branches scar quite quickly.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can definitely wire a BRT, I have and the branches came out fantastic. That being said they grow very quickly, if you're the type to ignore a tree for a couple of months, might not be best to wire it. The branches scar quite quickly.
Yes, let me second that. Mine even scared without even the wire biting in. Somce then I have just used directional pruning. However today I added a bunch of guy wires to pull down some very unruly branches. My question for @choppychoppy is how long does it take for the branches to actually fix in position when using guy wires? With the temps warming up I figure this one is about to start growing like gangbusters so hopefully the new growth will help the, take the new shape.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5+ yr old thread. Always wondered what happened to @Lobaeux. 2017 big storm in Florida right? Hope he made it. BRT planted by his garage like a juniper...right on!!! Watch the youth!!!

Some wire here and there doesn't hurt for BRT while your developing.....natural growth habit zig-zags.....sooooo......use wire and pruning in tandem.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
5+ yr old thread. Always wondered what happened to @Lobaeux. 2017 big storm in Florida right? Hope he made it. BRT planted by his garage like a juniper...right on!!! Watch the youth!!!

Some wire here and there doesn't hurt for BRT while your developing.....natural growth habit zig-zags.....sooooo......use wire and pruning in tandem.
Just don’t forget to snip the thorns off first, before wiring!

Top Bottom