Brazilian rain tree under watered

Lennon9969

Seed
Reaction score
I need help, i went out of town for 5 days and my son forgot to water my Brazilian Rain Tree. I have only had it for about a month. The leaves are crispy and falling off the tree. I scratched the trunk and it is still green. What can i do to ensure it does not die. I have the tree inside right now. I live in Tennessee so i can move outside if it would be better. I do not get much sun due to trees though. C1253642-C529-47F0-A172-508EDC2B3ACC.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with put it back outside in the shade and keep it watered. Dont let it get sopping wet but dont let it get dry again.
It should bounce back in a couple of weeks or so. Dont fertilize it

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I agree with all above. Just for reference, I had one sit leafless for a couple of months (seriously). I kept in filtered shade and watered just as much as to not dry out and it bounced back. Don't give up on it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I need help, i went out of town for 5 days

What I have done in the past when I had to leave town for a few days is I would fill the tray that is under all my Brazilian Rain trees and ficus when they are in their winter quarters in my basement with water. I have gone away for a week and they had enough water to keep them for that time.

I use these black trays under them when I have them inside for the winter:

I have 1-2 of my larger trees or 3-4 of my smaller ones in there. This might be too big for your tree but one of the smaller ones like this or similar should work fine for your tree:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I use these black trays under them when I have them inside for the winter:
Do you dump out the excess water in the winter? I see these trays don't have ridges. The ones I use for winter do have raised ridges, and even then, the water gets too high and the trees stay too wet if I don't dump it out.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you dump out the excess water in the winter? I see these trays don't have ridges. The ones I use for winter do have raised ridges, and even then, the water gets too high and the trees stay too wet if I don't dump it out.
I dont generally get a lot of excess water that accumulates when I am watering them daily. I give them just enough to get the soil thoroughly wet. Any that goes through the pot evaporates usually before the next watering, probably because of the heat the lights generate during the day. I have little square tiles that the pots sit on when in the tray.

When I have gone away for a week, I have taken the tiles out and filled the trays with water so that they are at least 3/4 full and left for a week.
When I come back home, the water is about 1/4 full because the trees have used it and some of it evaporated. The reason I do this is so I don't have to worry about the trees not having water when I am gone for such a long time. I never had any ill effects from this. The trees dont dry out and I have never had them have root issues from it either.

I wouldnt let them stay that way all the time but for a week once in a while, I havent seen any issues from it

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Raintrees grow, afaik, in seasonal climate. Dry and wet. As such, they have their mechanisms to deal with the random drying out. It should be fine. I send some raintree seedling to someone last year and it got stuck in transit, taking I think in the end 3 weeks. It was not in great shape. But after 3 months it started sprouting again. Key message: Keep it cared for and be patient.

Lennon9969

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I moved it outside in some shade and will keep an eye daily for watering.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
I've had our BRT for 3 years. 3 days ago the leaves failed to open and its the same way today. I checked for moisture but it does not seem too wet just damp. The tree is kept outside on our screened porch facing southeast. We live in Middle Tennessee. The tree rests on a bed of pebbles in a humidity tray. Normally would water it thoroughly but now I'm very hesitant. Any recommendations?

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of soil is it in?
Do you have photos of the tree and soil?

Don't scratch the trunk to see if it is still green, that harms the tree. If you see someone that is unconscious would you stab them to see whether they still bleed?

Top Bottom