Brazilian Rain Tree (Yellowish Leaves)

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
My Brazilian Raintrees foliage are slightly yellowish. I have recently switched to newer LED's. I'm wondering if they are getting too much light. They are growing well, but foliage isn't the same deep green color. Too much light or not enough that is the question?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yellowing leaves usually has to do with watering not light. Have you moved them recently, are they too wet or dry? New leaves are typically lighter in color when they emerge and turn darker green as they grow.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Brazilian Raintrees foliage are slightly yellowish. I have recently switched to newer LED's. I'm wondering if they are getting too much light. They are growing well, but foliage isn't the same deep green color. Too much light or not enough that is the question?

Pictures may help.

As Carol said, yellow leaves usually mean water.

Too much light usually means lime green or very light green...unless they are really burnt then yellow into brown and crinkly :(

But BRTs tend to toss old foliage for new when their environment changes significantly. When mine go from inside to outside they will drop most older growth...the dropped growth turns yellow before it falls.

If you increased the light intensity a lot, this may be what's happening. Shake a branch...do the new leaves fall off easily?

Mine grows new leaves with bigger leaflets when inside for the winter and smaller leaflets after I move it our for the summer.

If you open your profile and add a nearest major metro and a grow zone, people will see that and can add more climate specific advice.

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
Yellowing leaves usually has to do with watering not light. Have you moved them recently, are they too wet or dry? New leaves are typically lighter in color when they emerge and turn darker green as they grow.
I typically water two to three time a week until water runs out the of the bottom of the pots.

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
Pictures may help.

As Carol said, yellow leaves usually mean water.

Too much light usually means lime green or very light green...unless they are really burnt then yellow into brown and crinkly :(

But BRTs tend to toss old foliage for new when their environment changes significantly. When mine go from inside to outside they will drop most older growth...the dropped growth turns yellow before it falls.

If you increased the light intensity a lot, this may be what's happening. Shake a branch...do the new leaves fall off easily?

Mine grows new leaves with bigger leaflets when inside for the winter and smaller leaflets after I move it our for the summer.

If you open your profile and add a nearest major metro and a grow zone, people will see that and can add more climate specific advice.
Yeah, the leaves aren't dropping. It is growing vigorously and I have to prune at least once a month, they aren't burnt. I believe I might need to allow them to dry out more in between watering's.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I typically water two to three time a week until water runs out the of the bottom of the pots.

Frequency of watering is a horrible measure :( Plants use different amounts of water at different cycles of growth. Also, environmental factors play a huge part of how often to water.

For example, I water my BRTs daily in the growing season and often twice daily when temps are above 90F...and sometimes only once a week when inside for the winter and they are mostly dormant. But I use a mostly inorganic soil that can support that.

Many experienced growers "tune" their soil to their climate and habits...often without fully realizing it ;)

Rather than water to a schedule, every day you walk past your tree, pick it up. Over time, you'll learn to feel how heavyvthe pot is. Water when it starts to get light :) This is less effective if your tree is in a small bonsai pot because of the decreased volume of soil. If that's the case, poke a wooden chopstick into the soil and leave it there. Check if the chopstick is damp...if not, water.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Photos would help a lot as would knowing your location. My BRT leaves start yellowing and falling off every year about this time and at the same time the new buds start to open. They know spring is near based on the longer day length. Mine sits on a table next to a west facing sliding glass door with no additional light. Temp stays between 62-66 F and it basically just patiently waits for spring when I can start moving it outside during the day. I water it every other day as soon as I see all the water in the drip pan has evaporated. I rarely fertilize it on winter but start up around the 1st of March.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As already stated, BRT do turn over their foliage quite a bit and put out new leaves.
Yellowing leaves might be part of that process OR it could be a watering issue.

My BRT are currently inside under lights for the winter.
This time of year they are typically starting to pick up growth after a winter slow down
I usually have to water them every day to every other day when they are inside for the winter.
Outside they get watered every day, and 2x a day when its really hot

Top Bottom