Brazilian Rain Tree

Newbonsai13

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi!
I recently started caring for a Brazilian Rain Tree Bonsai which is about 5 years old, but the trunk is still very small. Living in Michigan, it is very cold in the winter so there is not much to do about that currently. Would it be a bad idea to re-planet this tree in the ground during the summer? Would just this season be enough to benefit the tree in any way?
Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 44

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Would it be a bad idea to re-planet this tree in the ground during the summer?
Yes. Putting it in the ground, then digging it back up in a couple months to put it back in a pot is a lot of stress for the tree without any benefit.

Newbonsai13

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes. Putting it in the ground, then digging it back up in a couple months to put it back in a pot is a lot of stress for the tree without any benefit.
Do you have any suggestions on how to thicken the trunk given the conditions where I live?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've only had mine since 2016, so limited experience. My winter's are not as harsh as yours, but they still spend from Oct-April indoors. Once they can go out, I give them as much sun as I can, plenty of water and fertilizer. There are others here who can be of more help @LanceMac10 @Clicio have much more experience.

Newbonsai13

Seedling
Reaction score
I've only had mine since 2016, so limited experience. My winter's are not as harsh as yours, but they still spend from Oct-April indoors. Once they can go out, I give them as much sun as I can, plenty of water and fertilizer. There are others here who can be of more help @LanceMac10 @Clicio have much more experience.
i appreciate it greatly! I would love to see photos of your BRTs!

Newbonsai13

Seedling
Reaction score
A large, relatively deep pot. Richer soil. TONS of fertilizer.
Thank you! What would be a good soil mixture? I know BRTs like to have a faster draining soil from what i understand. Also, what is a good time to repot?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I considered doing that with my second one but, like Carol, thought it would be a bit much for the tree. I put it into a 3 gallon pot instead and we’ll see how it responds.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I considered doing that with my second one but, like Carol, thought it would be a bit much for the tree. I put it into a 3 gallon pot instead and we’ll see how it responds.
Probably a good idea, but a 3 gallon pot wouldn't fit under my lights. Plus, my husband gets pissy enough about the little pots coming inside.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you! What would be a good soil mixture? I know BRTs like to have a faster draining soil from what i understand. Also, what is a good time to repot?

For developing tropicals I use half bonsai mix and half potting soil. Since you aren't cutting any roots and it will be kept warm you can pot it anytime. I would use a large low pot, make a box, or use a flat. Very little pruning while growing out.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Probably a good idea, but a 3 gallon pot wouldn't fit under my lights. Plus, my husband gets pissy enough about the little pots coming inside.
Fortunately I have an unused upstairs bedroom with a large, south facing window. I supplement that light with a hanging grow light and since she rarely goes upstairs my gf doesn't get mad at me!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would it be a bad idea to re-planet this tree in the ground during the summer? Would just this season be enough to benefit the tree in any way?

Yes. Bad idea. Twice the work for a pittance in return? No thanks.

Do you have any suggestions on how to thicken the trunk given the conditions where I live?

A wider, and a "nervously shallow" container will force the roots to grow out, pulling the trunk along with them. More foliage helps as well. Like @choppychoppy mentioned, keep pruning to a minimum. Although I would tend to cut some shoots high in the crown so to not shade the lower branches. We'll even wire the ends of lower branches up higher than the crown to build their vigor. Seen some amazing trunk thickening in containers, (granted, over nearly a decade) of constantly pruned specimens. So it's possible in a pot, just got to be patient.

i appreciate it greatly! I would love to see photos of your BRTs!

DSC00333.JPG

Research soils over the winter. Wait to repot until it's in the 60's in your neighborhood. May? They love tons of water and ferts. And full sun. So I try to use a soil that will hold a bit more water to deal with full sun exposure. Even then I water three times a day in high summer. At least twice.
They are looking kind of blah right now, and I'm at work. The only picture I have here is from this summer. I got the tree for $5 off of ebay summer of 2016. View attachment 274800

$5?!?! That's a bargain! Nurseries up here would be looking for $75 with the pot. $50-60 in a trainer....nice!!! 💋
….sometimes I smile as I drift off to sleep when I hear my old-lady catch her sweater on a thorn when she turns off my lights....is that bad?👺😁😁😁😁

@Newbonsai13 don't do too much too sun, how will you know what the tree is responding to? And who want's to do a re-pot in the house? What a mess! It's nice to work on stuff in the spring outdoors, specially in our climates...….enjoy your tree, these are tough trees, hard to kill.😎

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
5?!?! That's a bargain! Nurseries up here would be looking for $75 with the pot. $50-60 in a trainer....nice!!! 💋
$5 for the tree, I repotted in a pot from @Soldano666 last summer. That fluted trunk on yours is ooh-la-la. 🥰 I'm comfortable enough with them now, I think if I were to spend $$ on a tree, it would be a BRT. What do you want for yours? ;)

Top Bottom